Chapter One- Skinny Dipping with a Stranger

*All Rights Reserved - Copyright 2013* 

*Dedicated to Stephanie, my editor. Thanks a million.*

Summer. Summer. Summer.

The second hand ticked in a steady, continuous motion. I was sitting on the edge of my seat, eyes locked on the clock.

Summer. Summer. Summer.

15 seconds. 15 seconds until I’m out of here forever.

Summer. Summer. Summer.

I unconsciously lean forward, my eyes widening in anticipation. The second hand falls on the twelve, just as the bell rings. I leap up from my seat, allowing myself to let out an excited whoop. I chuck my papers in the air and grab my shoulder bag.

I run from that room, and I run from that school. I run past all the crying girls and bro-hugging jocks. I shove right past the sophomores, and I don’t bother to move out of the way for the juniors. My long legs carry me all the way to the back of the crummy parking lot. I hop right into my convertible, and drive. I drive far away from that falling apart school.

The star speckled sky blanketed the quiet country side. Its dark covering and lack of moon prevented me from being able to see the table as I slammed into it. I froze as the muffled noise echoed through the small cabin. My eyes widened in fear as I heard a floor board creek close by. It creeks again. I glance down and realize that the sound is coming from me. I let out a sigh of relief, holding my hand over my chest as I try to calm my racing heart. I walk as light and fast as I possibly can towards the door.

            I slowly open it, fearful that it will squeak and ruin my plans. Thankfully, it doesn’t. I clench the muscles in my face tightly as I sneak away from the homely cottage. The crickets musical chirping soothes me as I make my way towards the lake. The fireflies flutter in the air, flashing their little bums, and then landing on tall pieces of grass. The moist dirt squishes between my toes as I walk barefoot over the ground. The dew covered grass brushes against my legs, causing me to shiver. My eyes darted all over the empty country side. I quickly dashed across the road, barely looking left and right. I take in a deep breath, a smug smile slipping onto my face as I do. Then I run. My hands pump at my sides as my body glides over the ground. The cool night air cocooned my body, wrapping me up in a blanket of happiness and freedom.

'Then I saw it. The dark waters lapped on the shore, smoothing over the sand, and then retreating. I glanced over my shoulder, the small cottage not even visible. Without a second thought or moment of hesitation, I started quickly shedding clothes; first my shirt, then my shorts, and my undergarments quickly after. I rushed into the cold lake, proceeding to dunk my head underwater. This effectively covers my whole body in a shroud of nighttime water droplets. Opening my eyes under water, I take in the beneath-the-surface life. I smile and wave as a small fish darts by. An uncomfortable feeling starts building in my chest, warning me that I’m running out of air. I swim towards the surface, temporarily abandoning the under water paradise. My head breeches the surface of the water, taking me back to air. I take a deep breath and wipe the water from my eyes.

“Skinny dipping, are we?” I freeze in panic as a voice floats towards. A male voice. I whip around in panic and sink further into the water. “Mind if I join you?”