16: He Cared

___________________

"It's not right for lecturers to keep you back." Damien muttered as he finished his breakfast. "Yesterday I was there for hours."

"Is that why you didn't get home until six?" Laura asked.

He nodded. "Damn them."

"What'd you do?" Katherine wondered.

He shifted in his seat. "I told him to fuck off."

All of us scowled.

"What? He kept picking on me I wasn't in a great mood!"

"Doesn't give you the right to tell him that." I said. I stood up and walked to the sink to dump my bowl and spoon inside.

"He let me off by not telling the Dean but I have to help him every Monday after class for the next three weeks."

The doorbell rang.

Everyone looked at each other and Lucas sighed. "I'll get it then,"

I was slightly nervous for todays lecture with Michael. Acting normal seemed easy enough. But easier said than done.

Luke walked in with a smile and turned to me. I raised a brow at him but in walked my brother. I scowled at him. "And you're here on a Tuesday because?"

He shrugged a shoulder. "School was cancelled."

"I highly doubt that." I walked over to him. "Does mom or dad know you're here?"

He shook his head and pouted his bottom lip. "If you give me this day I'll owe you forever."

"What homework did you not do?" I crossed my arms over my chest.

"Advanced Math and my teacher said she'd put me in detention for tomorrow. I can't do tomorrow I have a music class after school."

"You're going to have to stay here I have a lecture in about twenty minutes that I have to leave for about... now." I grabbed my bag from the floor next to the table.

"Oh. Can't you just skip it and come with me to the mall? I need to get some stuff."

I scoffed. "No! I'm not skipping my lecture for you, Aaron." Everyone stood up and made their way to the door. Damien introduced himself to my brother with a manly handshake and left the room.

"Look, stay here. You know where the main building is if you need me. Text me later okay?" I pecked his cheek. "Don't snoop through my stuff."

Before he could say another word, we all piled out of the house.

We made it to class with about five minutes to spare. My heart pounded in my chest as Kate opened the door to the classroom. I walked in with a glance to his desk to see that he wasn't here. I sighed with relief but then I wondered if he was coming in. He wouldn't not come... Would he? I still never found out the real reason as to why he wasn't in for the other week.

We sat in our seats patiently and finally he walked in. Without even realizing what I was doing, I was watching his every move. I watched the way his body moved toward his desk with ease.

Today he was wearing grey trousers, a light blue shirt and a dark blue tie. I moved my gaze from his body to his face. His mouth was in a slight smile as he went into the store room and took out two rows of books. His eyes seemed to sparkle some. He's obviously in a great mood.

He loosened his tie as he straightened his back.

And then he looked up at me.

He held my gaze for a split second. In that second I saw a twinge of amusement but at what, I wasn't sure.