The Fact behind the Fiction

As a sort of thank you to Wattpad for featuring my work I have decided to provide a little bit of background to the central themes and theories sitting behind Atlantis Reborn. I hope some of you find it of interest.

PART ONE – Rand Flem-Ath

In 2001 a librarian named Rand Flem-Ath reintroduced the world to Atlantis in his book, The Atlantis Blueprint. The book's core theory asserted that by shifting the prime meridian from its current position at Greenwich and repositioning it at Giza, Egypt, the world suddenly takes on a very different identity.

Marking up a map of the modern world into a grid with Giza at its centre, Rand was surprised to find how many sites of religious importance lay at ten degree intervals from the Pyramids.

Easter Island lies 140 degrees west; the pyramids at Teotihuacan and Tula (sacred city of the Toltecs) in Mexico are positioned at 130 degrees west; the pyramids at Copan and Quirigua (also in Mexico) can be found 120 degrees west; Quito, the northern capital of the Inca Empire, is 110 degrees west; and the Gateway to the Sun at Tiahuanaco lies 100 degrees west of the Great Pyramid. To the East, the great Ziggurat at Ur lies exactly 15 degrees east; and Lhasa, the capital of ancient Tibet, lies 60 degrees east of the Great Pyramid. This is not an exhaustive list and many more sites are identified in the book.

As pleased he was with his findings a number of significant sites such as Stone Henge didn't seem to fit the theory. He realised he must be missing something. Rand's second breakthrough occurred when he substituted magnetic north for a previous incarnation.

You may remember from an early chapter in Atlantis Reborn that as a result of Earth Crust Displacement magnetic North has not been a constant during Earth's history; a fact substantiated by Volcanologists around the world.

The temperature of molten rock is above the curie temperature of any ferrous oxide it may contain. This means that during an eruption a piece of rock will get so hot that any magnetism present within it will simply reset. As the rock cools, the ferrous oxides inside it regain their magnetic properties and, unlike other rock types, will hold onto these properties until the end of time.

In essence this means volcanic rocks can provide a very accurate reading of the whereabouts of magnetic north at the time of their respective eruptions. As such scientists have proven magnetic north has switched twice in the last 100,000 years; moving around 80,000BP from its position in the Yukon Valley to the Hudson Bay and then moving again sometime around 12,500BP to its present coordinates.

This brings in a whole new set of Rand's 'sacred' sites into the equation; sites such as Jericho/Jerusalem and Stone Henge now fitting into his theory as having latitudes of 5 and 30 degrees respectively when recalculated using the ancient poles.

He also discovered that a number of these ancient sites had actually been aligned to reflect the positions of these obsolete poles.

The avenue of the dead at the site of Teotihuacan in Mexico, for example, was orientated and aligned using the Hudson Bay pole. This alone points to an understanding of both science and geography during the Neolithic with which our ancestors have not been credited. How could the inhabitants of a settlement established around two thousand years ago have possibly been party to the co-ordinates of magnetic north as it was ten thousand years previously? This is not the only example and these alignments crop up at other sites including Tula, Copan and Xochicalco.

The anomaly also appears outside of the Americas and at the site of Ur it is clear that both its stepped pyramid and shrine to the moon god have both been aligned with the Hudson Bay Pole.

Rand believes the Atlanteans (for want of their actual name) established settlements on these 'sacred' sites which accounts for why so many of them still retain a religious status. My opinion differs slightly in that I believe these early cartographers probably placed markers at these sites. Markers which were later interpreted by indigenous populations as other worldly and revered as such.

Either way I feel Rand's theory is a compelling starting point to argue for the existence of advanced civilisation at a time when current archaeology still has humanity scavenging for scraps in small groups all around the world. If proven that man accurately mapped the Earth as long as 80,000 years ago, it would certainly blow all current origin theories completely out the water.

PART TWO – Percy Fawcett

Colonel Percy Fawcett – It may not be a name you are aware of but this man was in fact the inspiration for the beloved fictional character, Indiana Jones. It is also well documented he was a muse for Arthur Conan Doyle, who used Fawcett's Amazonian field reports as the starting point for his novel, The Lost World.

During his travels the Colonel recorded his many exploits in a number of handwritten journals; journals that have been posthumously published by his son; published in a 1953 book entitled "Lost Trails, Lost Cities." The book is essentially a compilation of extracts detailing Fawcett's adventures between the years 1906 and 1925. Significantly, from my point of view, the climax of his exploits was set to be the discovery of the ruins of an ancient lost city; an ancient city which for the sake of ease he labelled "Z."

Along with his eldest son, Fawcett disappeared under unknown circumstances in 1925 whilst undertaking this expedition and the city's location perished with him. Luckily his journals survived and it is from them that it is clear that whatever evidence he discovered in the Mato Grosso region of Brazil, it was enough to convince him absolutely that Z was an offshoot of Atlantean civilisation. A city of refugees founded when Atlantis fell.

"the connection of Atlantis with parts of what is now Brazil is not to be dismissed contemptuously, and belief in it -- with or without scientific corroboration -- affords explanations for many problems which otherwise are unsolved mysteries." (Lost Trails, Lost Cities, pp. 15-17)

"I expect the ruins to be monolithic in character, more ancient than the oldest Egyptian discoveries. Judging by inscriptions found in many parts of Brazil, the inhabitants used an alphabetical writing allied to many ancient European and Asian scripts. There are rumours, too, of a strange source of light in the buildings, a phenomenon that filled with terror the Indians who claimed to have seen it.

The central place I call "Z" -- our main objective -- is in a valley surmounted by lofty mountains. The valley is about ten miles wide, and the city is on an eminence in the middle of it, approached by a barrelled roadway of stone. The houses are low and windowless, and there is a pyramidal temple. The inhabitants of the place are fairly numerous, they keep domestic animals, and they have well-developed mines in the surrounding hills. Not far away is a second town, but the people living in it are of an inferior order to those of "Z." Farther to the south is another large city, half buried and completely destroyed."

So does the city exist and if so why hasn't it been found? Perhaps we shall never know, for the existence of this lost city has until now remained hidden in the mists that shroud the jungles of the Mato Grosso. These jungles guard their secrets well, for as the Oracle of Tolemac has written:

Until that time when the world is ready to rediscover the lost science of Paititi their secrets will remain protected by the jungle, poisonous reptiles and hostile Indian tribes, who are the modern guardians of this ancient knowledge.

Many expeditions have attempted to follow in Fawcett's footsteps and each of them has failed, the city having long been dismissed as the folly of an eccentric explorer. However, with Rand's new theories of continental mapping with differing co-ordinates for polar North, maybe now is the time to pick our maps back up and re-calculate. So who's going to be brave enough to take a chance and act on the theories of a man who, after all, was the real Indiana Jones...

Thank you to all those who have taken the time to read my work and support my writing. It is actually quite humbling to have had so many people join me on this journey. You have taught me a hell of a lot over the last few months, the biggest lesson being that the learning process will never end!

I will do my best to sort out the errors and make Atlantis Reborn available on Amazon as soon as it is in a fit state. In the meantime look out for updates to First Shot Fired - Roswell!

Kindest regards, Mark.