Chapter One: The Worst Birthday

Hey guys! Anyways I hope you guys like it<3 Vote... comment... fan! (yeah you get the idea ;)!)

Anyways thanks if you actually bothered to read this story!:)

--

 Avery Potter: Once, I never thought anything would change in this town,

Now I know better, I only wished it was true...

--

Out of the many things that made me an unordinary person... was that I was an orphan living with people who are nothing to be exact as my family.

We're not related. I live with my aunt Marrissa and Uncle Jeremy Witbird,  with their daughter, whose two years older than me; 15. Her name's Kristie, and she's probably the world's dumbest girl you could meet. Just like any other tanned, spoiled blondie who couldn't care more about nails and shoes.

 I never really knew my parents. The Witbird family are only keeping me because I've been left on their porch steps as a baby. Otherwise, as they say they would've thrown me straight to the orphanage.

I'm Avery Skylark, an orphan who lives with her Aunt and Uncle and weirdo freaky cousin. I'm 13 years old, as I never really had any friends in school. I was laughed at all the time of course. As all the girls in my school are nothing less than like my cousin Kristie. I was always teased over the fact that my bloody red hair was always messy, my clothes were usually ripped jeans and a faded shirt, I was skinny. Too skinny maybe, that I looked as if I hadn't had a meal in a weeks time.

"AVERY SKYLARK! YOU COME IN TO THE KITCHEN RIGHT NOW!" roared the voice of Uncle Jeremy from the kitchen all the way up into my tiny bedroom that only fit a bed and a bureau and a desk. I swung my feet off my bed. Sighing, I walked downstairs with a naughty scowl on my face.

"What?" I snapped when I reached the kitchen.

"How dare you use that tone on me?!" screeched Aunt Marrissa.

"I dunno.... maybe because you kinda deserve it I guess." I shrugged casually. Aunt Marrissa stiffened. I noticed she was frosting a big strawberry cake.

"Be quite you!" she barked. I said nothing, and pursed my lips with authority.

Kristie swaggered into the room, in the kind of aristocratic sort of way.

"Now will you please tell me why you got me down here?" I hissed. All my life I had learned to talk back to the Witbird family without getting in trouble. Though trouble wasn't news to me, I always got in trouble at school too. Though I had to be careful when taking back to the Witbirds.

"I'm having my boyfriend over!" Kristie blabbered as I sighed. Kristie's was currently dating Jeff Moore, the most popular boy in school and every girl's dream of dating. I hated him, on the other hand. He's her age; 15, and has this cherry brown hair that's as messy as ever. He's rather annoying, and pathetic.

"So?"

"So you're following the daily procedure like always.'' growled Aunt Marrissa.

"Sure... like always I guess. Staying in my room and pretending I never existed." I shrugged my right shoulder.

I said nothing more as I walked my way back to my tiny bedroom- if you could call that a bedroom.

I slammed the bedroom door shut behind me. For 13 years, I never really celebrated my birthday. As I sat on my bed, I started thinking... just thinking. About my parents.

What if I had a whole family? Grandparents? Cousins? Aunts? Uncles? A whole family I never knew about?

"It's my birthday.." I smiled at that.

I've been 13 years old for about 8 hours now.

The room was messy. Like any other unimportant kid's bedroom. The floor was scattered with papers, school books I never used, clothes, even (I had to admire my own nerve) underwear.

Ever so quitely, I hopped out the window and stumbled into the front yard.

I pleaded a walk outside, just me. All alone.

Without making any noise, I drawned downstairs seeming like a rather zombie-like figure.

I walked up ever so swiftly on the silent sidewalks. I could tell autumn was coming, classified by the orange, red, yellow and brown leaves covering the grounds.

I plopped on a bench, sighing.

The birds had taken over the sidewalks, hundreds of them, all pecking through the tiny pieces of bread that careless people had left behind. This was definitely not an ideal birthday.

A small breeze swift by, blowing my fiery red hair.

I never thought of running away, maybe, I did actually.

Once.

Twice.

Every second of thought, I may add.

A car had now parked in front of the Witbird's house. And I knew imedietly Jeff Moore had arrived. I was still on the street bench, and a bunch of guys were picking on a ten year old, frightened looking kid the corner of the street.

''Stop it! Leave me alone!'' the defendless ten-year-old shouts. Seeing his fear had brought pleasure to rest of the elite-gang of violent junkies.

'''Stop it! Leave me alone!''' a guy from the gang mimics the little boy, in a whiney-irritated voice. The boys seemed about 17 or so- unlike the frightened, shaking kid.

One of the boys gave the kid a shove. The boy sobbed, helpless.

The boys guffawed evily. One even shouted ''Nice one, Big D!''

''Can't you pick on someone your own size, Big D?'' I said, in a shrill voice. I had only found out his nickname when his idiotic friend targetted him with a high-five.

I kneeled down and helped the tiny, petite, boy with sandy brown hair up to his feet, helping him brush dirt off his shirt and jeans.

''Pick on someone your own size? There's no one here to match that criteria, beautiful.'' one of the guys cackled maniaclly.

I saw the kid run back into a house in the corner of the street, giving me a reproachful look.

''Five against one, very brave.'' I spat.

The guys guffawed obnoxiously again.

Arrogant bitches.

I chose to ignore them, and walked away. Which wasn't a common habbit, to be honest.

I'm a good puncher, you see.

I walked up to the house and swung the door open to the kitchen, where Kristie and her boyfriend Jeff were snogging on the dining table.

Filth and GROSS-ness.

Kristie unglued herself from Jeff and looked at me.

"Where have you been?" she snapped.

"Somewhere that happens to be not here" I snapped back. She glared. Her boyfriend grinned.

"I'm Jeff Moore..." he got up the dining table and came forward to me, giving his hand for me to shake it.

"Er- I'm Avery couldn't-care-less Skylark." I groaned. He frowned and dropped his arm.

"You Kristie's cousin?" he asked vaguely.

"Not really.... I don't have any relatives. Anyway if I did, they would be people with dignity." I muttered, grabbing a sandwich from the table and scurrying up to my room, leaving a stunned Kristie and Jeff staring from behind me.