Prologue

Prologue

Four years ago, when Celeste’s parents fought for custody of me in front of a judge, I made a promise to myself that I’m proud to say I have yet to break. The promise wasn’t bound by law, there wasn’t even any knowing witnesses. I made it during a brief intermission of the court, while the final decisions were being made. My social worker was excitedly rambling about how my parents’ lack of justifiable reasons for me to stay and the amount of evidence against them was working in my favor, but I wasn’t paying her much attention. At that moment I had been utterly blown away by the case the Morena’s had prepared. I had only known them for a year and a half at the time but they had always come off to me as calm and reserved people, followers rather than the leaders they were proving they were in front of the court. In my eyes their transformation had seemed other-worldly and had stunned me. Here were two people fighting with everything they had for a thirteen year old girl who nearly everyone else in the world had deemed hopeless.

So, as my social worker rambled on, I promised whatever superior being there was that, whether or not the Morenas gained full custody of me, would do everything in my power to show the Morenas how thankful I was.

When court was resumed and the final decision announced, Celeste was the first to find me in the crowd. She hugged me and comforted my hysterics. Scott and Celia Morena were declared my official guardians, my parents having been deemed unfit for custody of me. As Celeste held me while I cried grateful tears, I added on to my promise from earlier. I promised to do everything I could to make Celeste Morena as happy as I was in that moment, even if it meant sacrificing my own happiness. Celeste had, after all, started the chain of events leading to my finally having a home where leaving the light on as I slept was no longer a necessity.

Author's Note:

Alright, so here is a new story of mine. I will be working on this half the week and Anonymous the other half. I will aim to have this one updated every Tuesday or Wednesday. This will be more of a romance than Anonymous, though not exactly in the way you would think.

I hope you enjoy this story, it's very different from what I usually write, but hopefully that means it's good. I never write in first person, it just feels strange, but for this particulary story line, first person POV is the only thing that makes sense. Let me know what you think? Thanks!

Have a great week and check out the next update of Anonymous of Friday!

Belen