Chapter 52

Chapter 52

It was like my entire world had came crashing down. My heart plummeted and I felt a shortness of breath. My mind started to close off and suddenly I was distant from my surroundings. The tears followed, spilling out of my eyes as everything in my body shut down. I couldn’t think, I couldn’t breathe, I couldn’t move. All I was aware of was the pain gnawing at my heart. Images of my baby flashed through my mind, images of her after the all the Chemo she took. How weak my poor sunshine looked. She was so tired of it all, and was so excited to start new, go to school make friends. Travel the world. Try new foods, explore new ideas. My heart has shattered into a million different pieces thinking of all the things this damn disease had taken from her.

My life has been a hell of a roller coaster and Lacey was like my seatbelt, and I will fight until my last breath to make sure she beats cancers ass.

I took in a shark breath, as my arm started to lurch foreword. I didn’t even know what I was doing, my mind was still blank.

I heard someone call out my name and before I knew it, I felt Josh’s keys in my hands. I didn’t even know why I picked them out of his hand.

“Get in his car, drive away. Get to Lacey. You have to see her” My mind told me. The thoughts were scattered and it took a couple of moments for me to register what was going on. I glanced up at Niall and Josh who were looking down at me, confused about my behavior. I angrily wiped some pesky tears that had fallen onto my cheeks. As I took another breath, my feet started to move under me. I ran for the door, yanking on the door knob. I guess one of the boys figured out my intentions and I felt a pair of hands try to grasp for my wrist, to hold me back. It wasn’t going to happen, no one could stop me. I was too quick and I yanked my arm free from his grasp, the cold wind blasting my face.

“VALERIE!” I heard their voice call as I ran into the coldness of the night, the rain falling harshly around me. I saw Josh’s stopped the middle of the street, the driver’s side door already open because Josh never closed it.

I ran as fast as my tiny legs could carry me, adrenaline pushing through every ounce in my being.  I heard their footsteps behind me as I willed my legs to go faster.

All that was going through my mind was Lacey, and I kept pushing. I lost my balance a couple times in from the lack of vision due to the rain, but never once did I take my mind off what I needed to do. Thunder rumbled in the distance making me whimper. It was so ironic, I would always say how much I loved the rain, yet in this moment it was everything but relaxing. I don’t have my driver’s license, and I’m going to try to drive to the hospital, in a car that isn’t mine, through the pouring rain. I flipped around seeing Josh and Niall getting closer as I quickly slid into the car, my drenched clothes feeling heavy.

I closed the door, locking it quickly before I fumbled with the keys. I finally found the one that seemed to fit in the key hole and I jammed it in, waiting for the engine to roar to life.

As soon as the engine start I slammed my foot onto the gas pedal, the car flying down the road.

~Niall’s Point Of View~

We watched Valerie drive Josh’s car away in the pouring rain, as Josh cursed. When Josh had broke the news, my own heart felt like someone had taken it out and squeezed it. I could never function right under these circumstances, and the news hadn’t even sunk in. I didn’t even realize what Josh had said, the next thing I knew, Valerie was running out of the house. I didn’t even have time to think as my own feet started to move and follow her.

“You have your car?” He asked looking over at me. I could barely even see him through the pouring rain and I shook my head.

“No!”