Chapter 33 - UNCUT

Chapter 33 – UNCUT

The men stood tall before me.  Their faces reflected their joy. 

It was early morning and yet they all wore their dress uniform.  It was not usual for a fighting unit to wear a uniform yet Torc had insisted on it when he formed the twelve.  It singled them out which was not always a good thing.  However Torc claimed that they were the best and they welcomed the attention.  I had no idea where he got the funds to purchase it but knowing what he was like back then, he probably paid for it with something other than money. 

They looked very handsome in the navy blue tunics with the white trim. Over the left chest was a white knot design, a single unbroken thread tied in the shape of a heart.   A long leather belt was buckled around their waists.  Their hair was neatly tied back and they were clean and shaven. 

It was Douglas who stepped forward, “Maeb, the men and I don’t know how to thank you.”

“There is no need Douglas.  If this comes to war I will not have him hold hostages.  And you are my men, we look after our own.”

Then I inspected them and made sure they knew what their role was and what was at stake.  Then I spoke with Douglas quietly as the men did their final preparations for the day. 

“Douglas, if one of the women goes into labour you must ensure that the husband is not on duty.  Let them pace outside the delivery room.  Be prepared too. There are thirteen expectant mothers here.  Not a lucky number.  There will be losses.  It is impossible to say which women will survive and which will not.” 

“But Maeb you have Midwives and the women are all healthy.”

“Unfortunately child birth lacks common sense.  The slightest women can birth like a natural while a wide hipped, healthy mother might push to no avail.  It is a risk to all of us.  We can only hope and pray that all goes well.”

“Is there nothing we can do?”

“You must do you duty.  You must be prepared to deal with the man grieving for his wife or his child or both.” 

“There are only twelve of us Maeb.  Even with all the men fighting we could easily be outnumbered.  I can’t have men without their minds on the tasks before them.”

“I know.  We cannot afford this.  Bringing the women here was a risk.  It could bring the men to their knees when I need them most.  But to leave them where they were meant I could trust not one of you.”

When he looked at me confused so I explained, “The King is not adverse to Blackmail.  He could easily have used a much loved wife and child to secure the services of one of the men. And I know the twelve are loyal to me but I do not wish to test this loyalty.  A man will do much to save his loved ones.  I would risk all not to have any of you forced to make that decision.”

I turned to find Jonathan behind me.  His face was creased in pain.  It was clear that he had overheard some of my discussion with Douglas.  He took me in his arms and before I could stop him he dropped his lips to mine.  He kissed me slowly and held me as he did. 

There was no words spoken but I did hear the sound of men moving around us as Jonathan kissed me. I opened my eyes as his lips lifted from mine.  Blushing I turned to find the men had arranged themselves around us with their backs to us but shielding us from any unwelcome eyes.

“Don’t die on me, please Maeb,” Jonathan whispered into my hair as he held me to him, “Please Maeb, I need you.”

I reached up and cupped his face with it.  I could think of no promises I could give him.