A Hopeless War

Chapter 24

“You’re Majesty . . . are you alright . . . ?” I asked walking up to her. She looked up at me but didn’t seem as if she was able to answer. I waited another minute before touching her forehead and had to withdraw instantly. She had a scorching fever which might of explained why she looked so weak. I looked back to Ezra hoping he would have known more.

“I found her when I was looking for the sitting room—I got lost, I heard people saying that it wouldn’t be long now . . . Kiara . . . ? Is she gonna die?”

I took him into my arms and tried to reassure him. “No . . . she’ll be just fine—“

“No I won’t . . .” I looked down, a little shocked that she could actually speak. What did she mean no? S-she had to be fine. Who knew how long this war was meant to last and if she died then the kingdom would need a new Queen and that was one position that I couldn’t fill; no way. “It’s no use lying anymore . . .” She paused to cough, “I’ve been sick for quite a few weeks now and I’m tired . . . I can’t fight it . .  .”

“Yes you can.” I said taking her hand in mine. She couldn’t think that way. “You can fight this and you’ll get better. The kingdom needs you so you can’t just quit—“

“Just stop . . .” She said cutting me off. “I don’t try to think about it and I don’t need you to remind me . . . what I do need though . . . is company.”

“Company your Majesty?” I asked not following. Half the kingdom was gone and the other half was setting things in order to send of supplies to the soldiers. There was virtually no one to spare. . . no one, despite the fact that she was Queen, would have been able to come to her just to keep her company, there was simply too much to do. “I’m afraid that can’t be arranged. W-we’re in a war and—“

“I know that . . . does that mean that you will be busy as well . . . ?”

“Well no your Majesty but I—“ I stopped myself, not sure if I should have continued. She looked at me and her dull eyes held a twinge of curiosity. “It’s just that I never—I got the impression that you didn’t exactly appreciate my company . . .”

I saw her try to raise her hand but she didn’t seem to be able to get it very high and her lips moved for some time before any words came out. “Please, I'm afraid I must apologize . . . a queen must be able to admit when she’s wrong . . . that is the honor of a Queen . . .” My eyes bulged at her statement. Just how many people had those four been allowed to corrupt? Did everyone know about the honors and dishonors of royal life? My mind drifted to the fact that I was going to have to know them all one day; who knew, they might come up with more before I get to the position. . .

“Okay . . . if you’re certain that you don’t mind then I will stay with you.”

She smiled. “Thank you . . .” she murmured. “But as I said . . . I’m tired so could you come back . . .tomorrow . .  .?”

“Of course Your Majesty.” I said as I ushered Ezra from the room. Once outside I took a deep breath. The Queen had to be alright . . . I didn’t even want to think of what would happen if she were to—no I wouldn’t think about it. When I thought about it it would have been a good idea to keep Ezra’s mind off the war as well as my own off of Rolan. It made no sense to worry about him; he would be fine, I just had to have faith. In the mean time we would be there to keep the Queen’s company in an unnecessary war.

       *                                           *                                              *