Chapter Eleven

Living Royal

Chapter Eleven

It had been a long night for Bella Swan. While she had hoped that she’d be able to enjoy Edward’s birthday ball with him by her side, she’d spent most of the night sitting alone with a few strangers at one of the tables set up around the ballroom. On top of that she had been on the receiving end of fearsome glares from every girl in the room. She just hoped the night would end soon.

After her dance with Edward was over he took her around the room, introducing her to some of the people he knew, but their time together had been cut short.

Edward had done his best to try and remain next to her, but whenever they had a moment to themselves, the king would descend and drag Edward away to speak with one person or another. He’d also made it his life’s mission to introduce Edward to every young lady in the room. Bella started to feel like Cinderella at the ball, only she was starting to believe that she wouldn’t have the happily ever after. The odds stacked against them were too much.

Bella knew that Edward’s parents wouldn’t be all for their relationship, but she didn’t expect the King to be so much against it. He looked like he was seconds away from having her thrown out. At least the Queen had been courteous. She had even seemed happy to meet Bella. But at this point Bella didn’t know what to believe.

Before long, it was time for the birthday cake. Bella smiled as Edward came forward with his parents to stand around the table where the cake was placed. Her smile fell however, when she noticed the strawberry blonde woman on his arm.

All around her people starting singing happy birthday, but all Bella could hear was the rushing of blood from her head downwards and her eyes started pricking with tears.

No, she wouldn’t cry.

She wouldn’t give them the satisfaction.

Bella grabbed her clutch and headed outside. She was able to escape without anyone noticing. Why would they notice anyone like her, after all? She was merely a commoner. Someone so far beneath them that she wasn’t worth mentioning.

Bella allowed her tears to fall as soon as she was outside.

She ran blindly through the palace until she found herself outside in the gardens. She leaned onto one of the trees to try and gather herself together.

Who the hell was that? How could he do that to her when everyone there knew that she was his girlfriend?

Bella needed answers to those questions, but she wasn’t sure that she was willing to stick around long enough to get them. She started walking back in, intending to go back to her room, collect her things and get the bloody hell out of there.

Her heart ached when she realized that by doing that she’d be cutting all ties with Edward off. But she had to do it.

Her phone started ringing right then. Bella fished it out of her clutch thinking it must be Alice calling to ask how things were going so far. She would be so disappointed.

She answered without looking at the screen, “Hello?”

“Bella? Bella, where are you?”

It was Edward. Bella was so tempted to hang up, but she realized she’d have to talk to him anyway, now that he realized that she was gone.

“I-uh needed some fresh air. I’m out in the gardens.”

“Bella, I know what it looked like, but I swear to God I didn’t even know Tanya was going to be there.”