Chapter 8

Chapter 8

We head out to the car and hop in, the engine of the bright orange Ferrari springing to life as my aunt shoves her key in the ignition and turns it. Carefully, we back out of the long winding driveway and turn on to the old dusty range road, dirt and gravel flying out from under the fast turning tires as the city wheels struggle to grip the contents of the road, threatening to ruin the expensive paint job and put a few dents in the nearly brand new sports car. We ride in silence, neither of us really feeling much like talking for the time being. She'd said all that was needed, and my thoughts and actions mirrored hers as we finally turned off the dirt road and into the safety of the Walmart parking lot.

Going through the regular motions, I unbuckle my tightly fastened seatbelt and step out of the car, my feet hitting the pavement as I hurry on my way to retrieve a shopping cart. The chilled afternoon breeze sweeps across my rosy pink face, biting my nose and stinging my cheeks. Rushing to my aunts side, I wheel the cart through the many empty parking spaces, fighting to control the stubborn cart.

"Stupid wheels..." I mumble under my breath before giving up and zigzagging my way through the parking lot, pausing only long enough to apologize to annoyed drivers and a few crossing families.

Stepping into the Walmart, I begin to shiver, the effects of the freezing cold pouring out from the air conditioner causing my teeth to chatter uncontrollably.

"Damn it, I wish I would have thought to bring my sweater..." I think to myself as I rub my spare arm over the other, attempting to warm myself from the cold. "I hate how cold it gets in the spring." I take a moment to ponder this thought. "I mean, sure there's things that I love about spring time, like all the new born animals and how fresh and vibrant all the leaves and things get, but I despise the cold." I hadn't realized that I had spoken this aloud until my aunt Lexy shoots me a funny look.

"Have you always talked to yourself dear?" she asks Curiosity and a tad of annoyance wanders in her lingering gaze.

"I, uhhhhh, I don't really know, I never paid attention. I don't think so..." I say embarrassed. "Does it bother you?"

She stays silent, her lips twitching for a moment as if to say something, but then stops herself, not bothering to answer my question, merely ignoring me as if I hadn't spoken at all. I assume that it does bother her and I make a mental note to train myself not to.

We head towards the meat section, passing many busy, bustling shoppers in various isles.

"Hmmm... that looks good." Exclaims my aunt, pointing to some neatly packaged ham and motioning for me to retrieve it. Carefully, I set it down I the cart. We go on like this for quite a while before we'd finally gotten what we needed. We'd gone down the meat isle, bread isle, and produce isle. Now, we head towards the electronics department to find something for my future uncle. (Yes, Lexy and Paul are engaged as much as I'd hate to admit it.)

"So... What exactly is it that we're looking for again?" I ask, not quite remembering the name of the video game that Paul had asked for us to get him the day before.

"I think it was called Halo Reach or something like that." She says, no longer ignoring me. She walks toward the pretty redheaded clerk behind the counter, probably to ask for help or something, the clicking and clacking of her high heeled shoes echoes around me, bringing back memories of my mother that I really wish it wouldn't.

I can feel the tug of the memory, stronger than usual, determined as ever to pull me into its clutching grasp, but I refuse. "I'm stronger than this." I tell myself. Not here, not now. I push the memory away, refusing to let it in, refusing to let it take over. Not wanting to remember, not wanting to think about her, the mother that I'd lost only a few short years ago. No way was I going to break down here, not in the middle of Walmart, not with all these people around me, not with all those staring eyes judging my every move, my every action. I ignore the memory as it fights to hold on, fights to stay alive inside of me, it clings to my side.

I busy myself, wandering aimlessly through the electronics department not really knowing where to look for Paul's video game, but scanning the shelves anyways. After a few more moments of skimming the titles, I give up, deciding it's hopeless and set out to search for my aunt. Coming to a halt in the CD section, I find her. Her long blonde curls trailing down to her waist, set off by the store lights, shining brightly, almost blinding me.

"Yuppers, that's definitely her." I think, my mother was the only other one who had hair identical to mine other than my aunt of course, but my mother was dead.

"Hey, Lexy. I didn't see that halo game that Paul was asking about, it wasn't in the X-box section, sorry." I say, realizing at the very last second when the lady turns to look at me that this most definitely was NOT my aunt.

The lady looked to be about in her mid-thirties, her sapphire blue eyes bore into mine, an unusual ring of blood red coated the outskirts of her eyes, making her look exceedingly pale and her white golden curls only added to the effect. She was tall, about my height, and had long spindly fingers, perfect for playing the piano. There was something so familiar about this woman, a rush of memories seep into my mind, but I push them away again, storing them in the very back of my mind, needing to focus, needing to concentrate, to take in every little detail.

"Could it be?" I ask myself. "Could it really be her?" I glance at the woman again, taking in her long legs and muscled stomach. "No, it couldn't be her; I had watched her die with my very own eyes. She was dead, gone, no longer to walk on the earth plane. She'd had no pulse, I'd checked myself. She had been still, unmoving. It couldn't be her standing right here in front of me, it was impossible; no one could be raised from the dead. Or could they...

Before I have the chance to even ask for her name, she's gone, gone in less than a blink of an eye, before I have time to move, to open my mouth, before I even have time to flinch. She's gone, out of sight, and out of my life, for the second time in my short seventeen years.

*************************************************************************************************************** Hmmmmm, im kinda wondering hats gonna happen next!!!!!! Talk about mysterious..... lol. What would you think if ur "dead" mother showed upat the grocery store? you'd probably b pretty flippin freaked out. lol. So..... do what do you guys think will happen next? any1 wanna give me some ideas?

plz vommet, (Vote annnnnnd comment, but only if your awesome!!!! which, seeing your reading this, your deeefffinately awesome!!!!! hahahaha. Thanx!!!! ohh, and its kinda hot in here, i could use some fans too....... no pun intended. lol

- Double S. (SS)

otherwise known asSychopath Serenity