Chapter 24 - Everything

∞ᴪ∞

Chapter 24 – Everything

I waited for Leon, alternately slumping on the old study table or anxiously pacing back and forth in my room; trying to make a mental note of every question I wanted to ask.

Leon promised to come by at ten and I tried my best to organize or hide the clutter in my room and took a quick thorough shower, brushed my teeth (twice) and even went through the trouble of blow-drying my long brown hair. I wore my best pair of pajamas; not gowns would give a horribly wrong impression and I was not that desperate.

I hadn’t the slightest idea why I even try since I was bound to look insipid beside him anyway. I must be developing an inclination to category six since I could only acclaim luck for these fortunate events. Now that’s a development.Goodbye, Count Olaf!

Sitting on the floor beside the window, I lifted my eyes as the bolts that fastened Leon’s ladder to my window rustled against the steel ledge giving out an angry chafing sound that made my teeth want to fall off.

In no time at all, Leon’s dark head jutted from the window sill.

I immediately shambled to my feet as he effortlessly vaulted into my room in one smooth move.

Leon wore a navy blue baseball cap over his dark head instead of the beanie and his glasses were safely tucked on thecollar of his shirt, with the long sleeves pulled up to his arms. No braces tonight too.

I was lost in a daze, yet again.

I thought it suited him better though I doubted it mattered. He could wear rags, for all I care and still manage to look like some Greek God. Before I could hyperventilate, my protective side took over me.

“That’s reckless, you know? What if someone sees—“

His lips crashed on mine in a fraction of a second, making me forget whatever it is I was trying to say. I focused on not hyperventilating through the rhythmic thud-thud-thud that intensified with the feel of his soft lips.

He paused to catch his breath then searched for my lips again but I held his face an inch back.

“Was a simple hi-hello not customary anymore?” I whispered in between the ragged breaths.

Chuckling softly, he leaned to kiss my eyes. “With you, it’s hard. Sorry,”

“Well I’m not complaining,” I forced back a smile.

“Well, thanks,” his arms wrapped around me so that my head inclined on his chest.

“For what?”

“Stopping me,” he grinned playfully.

I pulled away abruptly to lift my eyes to his face and threw him a panicky scowl.

Leon was suppressing a smirk as he returned my gaze; I could almost see my reflection on his eyes and was surprised howfascinating I looked in those crystal blue mirrors.

“I promise I’ll be good,” his melodious voice filled the air.

“You better.” My heart kept its hurried pace to the point that I thought I was having a heart attack.

His eyes sauntered the room. “Well something’s changed.”

Blood rushed up to my cheeks. “Yeah well, itwas turning into a batty old lady’s room.”

I caught his hands and led him to sit with me at the edge of the bed which he eagerly declined. Instead,he parked himself stiffly on my study chair. I guessed he didn’t trust his own self-control that much and wondered whatever it was that he saw in me. Perhaps, Becky’s curse spells had the opposite effect.