Eighteen

"Lower, Vincent." 

"This is as low as I can go." He growled, a bead of sweat forming on his brow.

Imani rolled her eyes as she watched the man on her computer monitor. He was shirtless, dark stubble surrounding the mouth that was pulled into a tight frown. He was in a squatting position trying to lower his body. 

"I know you can go lower. Come on, just down to the arm of the chair beside you." She spoke, at the same time writing something down on a post-it note and sticking it on the phone.

She was enjoying being back at work. She had something to do and could keep herself well occupied. Imani's desk was already filled with tasks to complete before lunch. Before she would return to helping out Vincent. 

One of the people who worked on the floor below whizzed past her, headed for Vincent's office. "Er, he's not available, honey. What can I help you with?"

The pale and scrawny girl looked exasperated. "There's a major problem with the finance statement from the new Glisten lipgloss ad. It's not adding up... at all!" She rambled, her face reddening and fingers shaking.

"Sweetheart, what's your name?" 

The girl started biting her lip furiously. "Gemma."

"Alright, Gemma, here's what I want you to do-."

"Is that Mr Pellegrino?!" Gemma said, noticing what was on her screen. Immediately she blushed at the sight of her CEO with his bare chest on display. "Oh God. Uh, sir? Sir, Mr Pellegrino?"

Vincent stopped what he was trying to do and brought himself closer to the screen. "Yes?" He barked, still agitated at Imani's persistance that he could go lower. 

"W-w-we have a slight problem." She went on to explain the problem, stuttering and hesitating her way through it. Nervously, she fiddled with strands of her blonde hair inbetween her fingers. Her lack of confidence was beginning to annoy Vincent.

"Gemma! Have you asked him?"

Another voice joined Imani's desk and she recognised it as one of the snooty workers on the floor below her. Bumping Imani out of the way and placing herself in front of the monitor, she tried to look at what Gemma was directing her words to. "Ah, Vincent-." He cleared his throat. "Sir." She corrected, giving him a toothy grin and flicking her red hair back. 

Imani watched as the woman swallowed after her eyes took in his body. "Has Gemma informed you of the current situation?" She continued.

Vincent folded his arms across his chest, raising an eyebrow. "Where is Imani?"

"Who?" The stuck up woman said, turning up her nose.

Irritated, Imani coughed and raised her hand. "That would be me." 

"Imani, turn the screen towards you." She did as he was told and saw Gemma looking shakily between her colleague and her boss' assistant. "I want you to handle this situation. I trust that you know what has gone wrong and can get to the bottom of it?"

"Aye aye captain." Imani joked, cracking a smile. 

Lifting a manicured finger, the woman looked perplexed. "Hold on a minute, what does she know? She's your assistant. I'm not trying to go against you or anything, sir but is she really the right choice?"

"What's your name?" 

The woman looked hurt. "Regina Roberts."

"Do you like your job here?" She nodded furiously. "Then I advise that you do what I say and seek Imani's help."