19 'Uneventful' Years

A/N: Hope you like it. Please comment or review if you want me to continue with this fanfic. :)

-- CHAPTER ONE --

At The Funeral

It was a normal day in the village of St. Ottery Catchpole, situated some miles away from London. People were absorbed in their chores and work. But they surely had noticed an unusually large number of owls soaring in the skies since few weeks as well as some strangely-dressed people passing by.

A strange house stood at some distance, invisible to muggles, commonly known as the Burrow. There, in his best friend’s room, lay Harry Potter reflecting upon the recent events that had changed the scenario of the wizarding world.

Although the Weasleys seem to be acting normal and celebrating the fall of the most feared wizard of their time, things weren’t the same. Of course, Percy had returned but the death of their beloved son and brother, Fred, during the Battle of Hogwarts had vanished the smiles from their faces, especially George, his twin. Molly Weasley also hadn’t recovered from the loss as Harry could still hear her crying in the depths of night when he pretended to be asleep.

The Ministry of Magic with Kingsley Shacklebolt at its head was doing its best for a smooth transition from the recent war. It had decided to hold a mass funeral for the martyrs at Hogwarts ground as the school had been restored to its original form by the experienced teachers. Their graves were decided to be besides that of the greatest headmaster of Hogwarts, Albus Dumbledore. A war memorial was also going to be built at Hogwarts as well as the Ministry. Voldemort’s body had been placed in the Chamber of Secrets which was sealed afterwards. The trial and interrogation of the Death Eaters and supporters of Voldemort was going on at full pace. Harry had rejected a seat at Wizengamot offered to him by the ministry.

He felt a lump in his throat as he pulled on his black robes to attend the funeral of Fred, Remus and Tonks who were just blessed with Harry’s godson, the Creevy brothers – so young but so determined and fifty others who died for the same cause.

As he descended down the stairs, his eyes met with those of Ginny to whom he hadn’t got a chance to talk once since his return to the Burrow.

“Harry?”

He wanted to comfort her and apologise for leaving her alone but then judged that it was better to bring up the subject later.

“ummm......Ginny, I-”

Suddenly, she fell into his arms sobbing hardly. Harry, not knowing what to do, glanced helplessly at Ron who had just appeared by his side.

“I can’t see George and mum this way. Even Phlegm isn’t the same.” sobbed Ginny and gave Harry a watery smile through her tear-stricken face.

 “It‘ll be alright, Ginny.” was all Harry could say. Then, he cupped her face in his palms and kissed her forehead.

Ron and Harry knew what she was talking about. Ever since the death of his twin brother, George had locked himself in their room coming out only for meals. Bill, Charlie (who had returned from Romania) and even Mr. Weasley had tried talking to him but without any success. The awkward moment was when once Mrs. Weasley had absent-mindedly called him Fred during dinner which had reduced both of them to tears.

Fleur, who is expecting a baby sometime next year, also usually remained silent, lost in her own thoughts with so much pain around.

“Hurry up!” called Hermione from below. When they reached her, Harry noticed that her eyes were swollen from crying.

“Don’t worry, Er-my-nee” said Ron placing his arm on her shoulder, obviously trying to cheer her up.

Harry smiled to himself. At least one good thing had happened during the war; both his best friends were finally together now after having feelings for each other all these years.