Will You Stay Away Forever? 12

They both sat in comfortable silence during the car ride. Chloe had her temple pressed against the tinted window of Brian’s SUV while she watched him drive.

Chloe could tell by the wrinkle of Brian’s eyebrows that he was absentminded, probably thinking of Jimmy. It for hard for her, too, to shake off the image of Jimmy’s grave off her mind. It was impossible for her to grasp that all that was left of such a lively friend, was a plate of stone.

An ear piercing scream snapped Chloe out of her bubble. Brian’s phone signaled them that he had a message. “Fuck’s sake…” Chloe gasped, “You better change that tune!”

Brian chuckled, “Could you see who that is?” Brian referred to the incoming message. This simple request made Chloe smile and she felt warm shivers spread across her body. He trusted her, he had nothing to hide.

Chloe nodded and checked the messages on his phone, there was a new one from Johnny. “Johnny wants us to come over.” Chloe said after reading the text, “Why couldn’t he just call?” Chloe rolled her eyes.

“Maybe he thinks we’re boning.” Brian grinned slyly and Chloe laughed along ironically.

“That’s for later!” Chloe leant in to whisper in Brian’s ear and kiss the curve of his scruffy jaw. The car shifted as Brian clenched the steering wheel tightly, struggling to drive safely.

“Damn baby, don’t tease me like this unless you want me to pull over and bang you in front of everyone.” Brian warned but at the same time allowed his hand to leave the steering wheel and caress Chloe’s thigh.

Chloe giggled and returned to her seat, “So what should I tell Johnny?” Chloe prepared to respond to his invitation.

“Let’s go.” Brian nodded and took the next turn that lead to the beach, steadily driving to Johnny’s place.

“That was fast!” Johnny arched his eyebrows when 20 minutes later Brian and Chloe rang his doorbell. He handed them both beers and stepped aside to allow them to come in.

Jewel was lying on one of the lounge chairs in Johnny’s back yard, dressed in what looked like a dress she had made from one of Johnny’s old t-shirts. “Nice.” Chloe complimented the outfit while pressing a kiss to Jewel’s cheek.

“Thanks!” Jewel giggled while she sat up, “It was an assignment for my course in Fashion school.” She explained.

“Jewel, how do you make it work? I mean, school and touring with Johnny.”  Chloe asked curiously. She was determined not to screw up things with Brian again.

“Um…” Jewel said while walking to Johnny’s giant grill, were she was preparing lunch for everyone. “I think that it’s just a matter of compromising and sorting out your priorities…” Jewel said when Johnny wrapped his arms around her waist, “How could I ever be away from my baby?” She pouted and sweetly kissed Johnny.

To be honest, Chloe had already understood that there was always time for love, for passion. She had the greatest amount of respect towards Jade, who despite being a doctor, found the time to form a beautiful relationship with Matt.

“Where have you guys been?” Johnny asked simply while plating burgers for everyone.

Jimmy…” Chloe answered softly.

“That’s good.” Johnny nodded.

“Do you guys um…still hang out with Melody?” Chloe asked uneasily, not willing to spoil the mood but she couldn’t fight the curiosity.

“Haven’t heard from her in weeks…” Jewel sighed.

Wazaaaaaaaaa!” Lilly’s infamous squeal echoed across the yard and soon enough, She and Zack appeared, grinning like maniacs.