Chapter 141.

When Hardin returns from dropping Anne off at the airport I am still awake. I hear him drop his clothes onto the floor and climbs back into bed wearing only boxers. He wraps his arms around me once more.  I am still a little irritated with him from our earlier conversation but his arms are cold and I missed him during his absence from our bed.

"I go back to work tomorrow." I say after a few minutes,  unsure if he is awake or not.

"I know." He is awake.

"Is something wrong?" I ask, his tone sounds off.

"No, just tired." He says.

Okay.. I am excited to get back to Vance."

"Why?"

"Because I love it there and I have had the week off, I miss working."

"You're quiet the over-achiever." He mocks, I know he is rolling his eyes even though I can not see his face.

"Sorry that I love my internship and you don't like your job." I smile.

"I do like my job, and I had the same job you had but I left it for something better." Hardin brags.

"Do you only like it more because you get to do it from home?"

"Yea, that's the main reason."

"What's the other reason?"

"I felt like people thought I only got the job because of Vance."

This is not a huge revelation but it's a much more honest answer than I expected from him. I expected a word or two about how the job sucked or was annoying.

"Do you think people thought that?" I roll onto my back from my side and Hardin leans up on his elbow to look down at me.

"I don't know, no one said it but I felt like they were thinking it. Especially after he hired me on as an actual employee not just an intern."

"Do you think he was upset when you left to work for someone else?"

"No, I don't think so. His employees were constantly complaining about my supposed attitude anyway." He smiles. His smile appears especially bright in the half lit bedroom.

"Supposed attitude?" I tease.

He cups my cheek beneath his hand and drips his head down to kiss my forehead.

"Yes supposed, I am very charming. No attitude at all." He smiles against my skin.

I giggle and he smiles, pressing his forehead against mine.

"What do you want to do today?" He asks.

"I don't know, I was thinking of calling Landon and going to the store."

"For what?"

"To talk to him and see when he can meet up with me. I would like to give him those tickets."

"The gifts are at their house, I am sure they already opened them."

"I don't see them opening them without us being there."

"I would."

"My point exactly." I tease him.

"Do you think.. what do you think about me apologizing.. well not apologizing.. but what if I called him, you know my dad?"

"I think you should call him. I don't expect you to apologize and I am sure he doesn't either but I do think you shouldn't let what happened yesterday ruin the beginning of a relationship you were forming with him." I know that I need to tread lightly when it comes to Hardin and Ken.