Chapter 20

Chapter 20 – unedited (Written 8/7/2013)

*Wednesday 2nd July*

He falls to the floor with a long, painful groan. Even as a werewolf, getting kicked right there hurts like hell. 

"You stay away from me and you stay away from my baby." She hisses, slamming the door in his face, but he quickly slides his foot in between, taking the impact but not closing the door. He still had to explain. 

Horrified, Ara runs into the kitchen and quickly scoops her baby up and protectively wraps her arms around him. She doesn't know it, but she's acting like a she-wolf protecting her pup from any thing she believes is a threat. 

Xander slowly follows after, not trying to scare the poor girl. She already kneed him in the family jewels, and that's got to hurt. 

He stands in the doorway of the kitchen, where Ara clutches her son in a protective manner while he just happily wiggles up and down without a care in the world. Xander looks at him lovingly, his little purple-eyed son. But Ara glares daggers at him. 

"I told you to stay away from me any my son." She growls. Xander's face fell a little when she said, 'my' and not 'our'. All Ara sees – and assumes – is that this man is the man who snuck into her bedroom and took her innocence away all for a bit of fun. 

"I–I'm sorry. Please, you have to hear me out! Yo–" 

"No. What you did was done and dusted; now I'm asking you nicely. Please get out of my house and stay away from me and my son." Ara states angrily, moving backwards. She blocked her kitchen knives from Xander's sight. 

"I'm afraid I cannot do that. You see, Caleb is important. Very important. And now that they know who you are, they'll try to get you." Xander says, taking a step closer. He knew Ara was blocking his sight to see the knives behind her back. It was obvious she was going to pull it out and try cut him. 

"Who? Who'll try getting me? What's the worse thing they can do, get me pregnant and disappear off the face of the earth?" Ara says sarcastically, slightly softening when Xander's face falls. 

"I'm sorry." He whispers. 

"Sorry isn't going to cut it. It's like you drop a plate then it breaks. And if you say sorry to it, it's not going to magically get back to the way it was before." Ara barks, holding her baby closer. 

"You don't have to forgive me, but you need to tolerate me. That is my child and– and he's important. People are going after him." Xander bargains. He was sincerely worried for both their safety. 

For crying out loud, it was his mate and his pup and he felt so guilty that they were scared of him. 

"He is not your son. I don't even know who you are." Ara growls in a low voice. She moves a little back when he comes forward. 

"Let me explain. There's a lot you don't know about me – or in fact your son. He'll need me when he gets older, he'll need the both of us. If you let me explain it all and still decide that you want me out of your life, I'll go. But if you don't I'll stay." Xander reasons with her in a begging tone. He couldn't lose the both of them, he just found his mate and he wants her bad. He'll do anything, even if it makes him look like a fool. 

"Who the hell do you think you are, showing up like this? I don't even know you. And Caleb and I are doing just fine without you." Ara tells him in a softer voice from before, pointing a finger at him.

He looked sincere and it wasn't a lie. Everyone deserves a second chance, and Ara is that kind of person. Even if Xander did that to her, she wants an explanation – a reason why he was her target.