The Search for Paradise - Chapter 8

Chapter 8

**Ben**

Courtney narrowed her eyes at me as I walked into the kitchen and I smiled sweetly at her, just to get on her nerves. I know that she probably ratted me out on something but I was not gonna give her the satisfaction of letting her see me squirm. My mum smiled at me, a knowing smile. Aah, I know what this is about... Courtney's mind reading. Stupid girl doesn't think I know.

"What's with the glare Courts?" I said, letting a confused look pass over my features. My mum turned to me and nodded.

"Ben, tell her." She said, looking at me above her glasses in that way people do when they expect you to do something.

"I know your secret..." I whispered, smiling at her as I watched her mouth form the perfect 'o'.

"What?! Mum! You told him?! Why? He's just gonna go and tell all of his jerk friends!! This is so unfair! I'm seventeen! I'm practically an adult! Why can't I be allowed to make my own decisions?!" Her eyebrows knitted together and she stomped her foot in frustration. My mum glared at her. Courtney used to be awful with her temper tantrums. She has a very short temper, and when it goes... BANG! That girl can talk for England without being angry, so when she's angry you really just need to back away slowly, or quickly, depending on if she's near any weapons.

"Courtney Louise Ellwood. Calm down. Ben has promised not to tell a soul and I think he has a right to know. He lives in this house and he shouldn't have you snooping through his mind when he has no idea." She nodded slowly as she said this. "So we took him to Grandma's and she taught him how to shield his mind, and dear, it was for your own good. Nobody should know what sick things horny seventeen-year-olds are thinking of." Mum and Courtney laughed. I scowled at them both, which made them laugh more, all signs of anger in Courtney had vanished. Women are so confusing.

Mum and me had gone to visit Grandma soon after Courtney's initial visit. I had no idea my mind was 'open' as Grandma said. She explained to me that we are not the most intelligent beings on earth and that mind reading is just the beggining. Not many people possess 'abilities' but those who do, are often very powerful, and, in many cases, their powers can be used as weapons. So, Grandma taught me how to 'shield' my mind from freaks like Courtney. It took a while but my mind is now 'closed'.

Courtney still looked on edge and kept fiddling with a piece of Blutack. "Promise? It's really important and they could, like, dissect me or something." She said, waving her hands around for emphasis.

I nodded my head with the classic 'Duh!' expression on my face. She laughed and then flicked her Blutack at me. It bounced off my head and flew across the kitchen, landing in a metal saucepan that was full of a beef casserole that we were having for tea. Mum glared at us both.

"Mum! I'm so sorry Ben's fat head pinged the Blutack into the soup!" I looked at Courtney, disbelief sketched across my features. Mum just smiled.

"Whatever. Your the ones that will be eating blutack and chicken casserole for tea. Ooh look! It's nearly ready! I hope you enjoy!" She said sarcastically, turning to the mixture.

***************************************************

Another short one sorry....

Charlie and Charlotte <33

 The picture to the right is Bea's mum, Mrs Donelly (Rachel Harris)

But on the plus side, I'm BACK from my hols so more frequent updates! Yay! I just wrote this chapter cos Charlotte wrote the past few. Can you tell a difference between our writing? Haha! Tell us below! Anyway, expect longer, more frequent updates. :D

*´¨)

¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)

(¸.•´ (¸.•' ¤ Charlie