Chapter 5: Disagreeable Pair

When a Swan Drowns

[BEN Drowned Fanfic/Romance]

Chapter 5: Disagreeable Pair

Victoria’s scream ripped through the depths of the nearly empty house, and yet, nobody came at that instant to relieve her of her fear.

Not even the sound of scampering feet on the hall that can chase away this nightmare. Everything became terrifyingly tangible. And the worst part was the realization that she was not able to make a run from the bed to the door. Thinking of it only caused her eyes to become misty with tears, dramatic thoughts of being completely forsaken instantly raging in.

The idea of bolting away was now extremely inviting.

Who won’t be scared stiff to see a nearly eyeless ghost, who can get inside closed houses? In a fast move, much faster than she had ever did before; she sat up and prepared to toss herself out of bed in a most unlady-like manner. If she had to crawl in order to get to the door, she would.

As soon as she heaved herself up to her feet, the force that she gave caused her to pitch forward. And before she can even take a step, her legs gave away with a terrified squeak. She desperately hollered for her brother’s name, but still no one came.

The void-eyed stranger simply shook his head in absolute dismay, his shaggy golden locks brushing against his pale face. For an absurd, but critical moment, to Vicky, if only he had existing eyes to roll, he already did. “Puny princess,” he muttered feebly, taking a step closer. His shoes barely made a sound on the carpeted floor.

“Don’t come any closer---!” the girl yelled, desperately trying to look fierce. Her attempts were futile, though, for fierceness was never an expression in that sickly, but innocent and feminine face. Even her glares looked comical and misplaced.

The anonymous boy tilted his head slightly, before grinning, as if daring her to make a move to stop him. “I would because—

In a distressed attempt of the female, a small floral pillow went sailing through the air, hitting the stranger straight into his face, and successfully stopping him on the spot and interrupting anything that he had to say.

She witnessed how that taunting, boastful grin of his turned into a comically grim visage that was mixed up with emotions—mainly of embarrassment, smoldering rage and wounded pride. They stared at each other for a moment in frigid silence, before the male youngster’s face contorted into a look of murderous intention. “Damn. You really shouldn’t have done that.”

 Victoria knew to herself that she was severely terrorized, until the hilarity of the thought struck her. The threat, in her ears, after seeing what happened was more like a punchline. Her laughter came out in short, nervous puffs. "Eh...I-I'm sorry," she said, desperately trying to stifle a giggle. "Really, I'm sorry for...for uh...the flying pillow..." again, an involuntary snicker escaped from her, and before she knew it, she was already questioning herself if she looked serious enough to say the feigned apology.

She was not sorry at all. He deserves it for scaring her, all this time.

It has been a long time since she was able to laugh like that before, and even though she was stiff scared and horrified, the laughter felt good.

The intruder looked momentarily surprised, but it only lasted for a fleeting moment, and his face became impassive like before. Hastily, he made his way to the other side of the bed where she was, as if he actually wanted to rip her instantly on the floor. "You are going to regret this."

Again, to Victoria, it seemed more like another punchline misplaced in a horror scene. Although she can't still wrap her head around the situation of the lingering thought that this boy was the hacker of her computer, the one that she was talking to in Cleverbot.com, for a seventeen year old he looked awfully small. Like fifteen. No. He was obviously a bit smaller than her usual perspective of a fifteen year-old male, because if her memory serves her well, her twin brother seemed to be a few inches taller.