Germany x Italy: I'm sorry

"Doitsu Doitsu! Look what I did!" Germany glanced up from the book he was reading under the tree, looking towards the little Italian waving his arms ecstatically. His eyes dropped down and he saw the pile of sticks and plant roots arranged in a tangle, spots of red flowers adorned the top. It took him a moment to realise Italy had managed to make spaghetti bolagnese out of yet another obscure medium.

Italy ran across the small clearing in the forest too Germany and pointed to his masterpiece. "Do you like it?" His big brown eyes shimmered as he waited for a reply. Germany paused.

"It's interesting..." What else could he say about spaghetti sticks and flower meatballs?

"Doitsu doesn't like it! I'm sorry I can't make it bella!" Italy wailed, tears already spilling from his eyes. Germany was taken aback.

"N-no, zhat's not it! Don't cry, zhat's a show of weakness. You're not weak so don't cry!" Germany was at a loss, whenever Italy cried he lost all coherent thought. His secret feelings for the boy didn't help clear his mind.

"B-but I always let you down, even when you do your best for me..." Italy sobbed, refusing the make eye contact with his friend. Germany shook his shoulder, trying to get him to look up.

"Italy, I told you I love you so you don't need to cry." Italy looked up when Germany realised what he had said. Immediately he let go of the Italian and turned around, covering his mouth.

"Doitsu... loves me?" Italy asked aloud. Germany turned a ferocious red and broke into a run. How could he have done that? Now he had no chance with Italy, not that he thought he had any to start with. It was shameful, all those times he'd seen Italy at the beach and had to force himself not to take his innocence then and there, yet he confessed his love at one tear.

Finally, he came to a stop. In the middle of the forest somewhere, he didn't really care enough to figure out exactly. He lent against a particularly thick tree and caught his breath, not from the running, but from the shock of what he had done. He felt a tightness in his chest and his world seemed to grow darker, his thoughts filled with images of Italy and the feeling grew worse. Even his vision started to blur. Panicked, he rubbed his eyes and was surprised to find them wet. Was he... crying?

"I love you Italy, I'm sorry." He muttered, holding back the tears he knew dwelt there, waiting to fall.

"What are you sorry for?" Germany whipped around, coming face to face with Italy. (Or chest to face, since Italy was short compared to Germany). "Doitsu, were you crying?" Germany covered his face with his hand, it was bad enough before but now... he wasn't sure if he'd survive much more today.

"Oh no, it was me! I made you cry, I'm sorry Germany! Be happy, okay? Because, you know... I love you too, vee~!" Italy beamed up at him and his breath caught in his throat. Italy... loved him?

"I-Italy, I zhink you have it wrong... I don't love you like a friend... um." He trailed off.

"Do you love me like a lover would?" Germany nodded, avoiding eye contact with Italy. He felt a hand touch his face, turning his gaze downwards. Italy stood on tip-toes, hand on Germany's cheek, a big smile on his face. Oh, how Germany loved that face. So young, and happy, and very, very close.

"Italy, what are you-" He was cut off when Italy's lips were pressed against his, they were soft against his own rough pair.

Germany was taken aback, and when Italy pulled away he realised what had happened.

"Italy, you..."

"Doitsu loves me, right? Well, I love Doitsu as well! As a lover, ve~" Germany paused, then smiled. Grabbing the little boy he picked him up so he was higher than himself then leaned his head up, pressing their lips together. Italy smiled in the kiss, his hands wrapped around Germany's neck. Unable to help himself, he deepened the kiss, forcing his way into Italy's mouth. Their tongues danced in union, sending a wave of butterflies through his body. Germany lowered Italy to the ground, laying him on the grass. He moved so he towered over him, looking into his eyes warily.