Chapter 7

“What are you doing here?” she asked, adjusting her glasses.

“I was in my balcony when I saw you walking out the cabin,” he smiled and dropped down on the sand beside her. “Sounds like you guys were having fun,” he smiled sheepishly.

“It wasn’t fun,” she uttered, her head aching from all the alcohol. “I have to go,” she started to get up but his hands stopped her.

“Jules, come on, why don’t we talk? It’s a nice evening and I want to spend it with you,” he smiled at her.

“I don’t want to talk to you,” she said, pulling her hand away from him. “And stop calling me Jules.” She didn’t know why she kept telling him that. Diane called her Jules all the time, but hearing Zach say the name was just weird.

“Come on,” he urged.

“I’m tired,” her voice sounding desperate, and she wanted to get away from him. His stare was scaring the hell out of her.

“Jules, please?” he batted his eyes at her.

“What are you? Twelve? Batting your eyes looks scary, you know that?” she said with etch of irritation.

“Five minutes, just spend it with me.”

She motioned her head towards their cabin, “There are women in there who will be happy to entertain you. I’m not in the mood for that.”

“But I want to spend this evening with you,” he pouted.

“What are you—” she gaped. “Pouting your mouth is even scarier, stop that!”

“I’m trying to be cute,” he chuckled, his face now back to its natural look.

“You’re not,” she shook her head.

“Yeah, I guess it’s not working,” he muttered. “Five minutes,” he said with a smile.

Julianne looked at him and sighed. “Five minutes,” she said and leaned back against the trunk.

“Why are you here? Okay, don’t answer that. You’re weird so I guess that answers that.”

“I’m what?”

“Weird,” he said, nodding his head. “Yeah, I find you weird. You are always alone and you don’t find me irresistible like all of them, so you’re weird.”

Julianne scoffed. “You’re impossible.”

“I just don’t get it why you keep pushing me away, you know. You should give me a chance though,” he turned his head to look at her reaction.

Julianne was not used being studied that way. She didn’t like eyes scanning her face. She was used to being ignored and put aside. But Zachary Astor was giving her too much attention since the moment they met. “I’m not giving anyone a chance where this show is concerned,” she uttered.

“But what if we met outside the show? Will you still be like this?”

“Yes,” she answered too quickly even for her to believe.

“You still don’t believe I like you?”

“Definitely,” she nodded. She knew this was all just a game for him. He found her challenging and intriguing and he wanted to prove to himself that he could make her give in to his so-called charms.

“But I don’t like you anymore,” he said in a low voice.

Julianne was startled. “You don’t? Good,” she said with relief.