chapter one ☂

a/n: sorry if this is a bad first chapter. i'm really horrid at first chapters. i don't know when i'll update but i'll try to write and make sure it's good. this is dedicated to @shelteryou because she is just such a lovely friend and person. please vote & comment.

*      *      *      *      *

CHAPTER ONE

Lily laced her brown worn ankle boots up, grunting in her bent down position. Once she was done lacing her ankle boots, she ventured out of her flat without even bothering to check if she’d locked the door or not. She was in a hurry and couldn’t take her time with anything because Harry had called her just a few moments with an order to come over in an extremely urgent voice before hanging up. She didn’t know whether Harry was hurt or in trouble, but she wasn’t going to wait to find out. She had gotten out of bed (she was still sleeping at the time Harry called) and got ready as quickly as possible.

As she settled into her Volkswagen Beetle, she skipped her usual tradition of just staring at the car in awe for a minute straight. Lily loved her car with all her might. Partially because Harry bought it for her and partially because the car was the one she’d wanted ever since she saw it in a movie she saw in fourth grade.

She didn’t know why she loved it exactly, but she’d always had a knack for old-fashioned, vintage-type things—the typical ones, like Polaroids and type-writers. They were too interesting and contrastive to everything nowadays.

Lily reached her hand over to the radio to turn it on as she drove to Harry’s flat. She grimaced at the sight of her hand as she just noticed how badly Harry had done her nails. He’d come over the day before with a bottle of violently red nail polish and demanded to do Lily’s nails. Lily had let him because she knew Harry’s incessant whining would drive her to insanity if she did otherwise.

The radio turned on and Lily was ready to cry when a guy on the radio said someone requested Same Love by Macklemore and Ryan Lewis featuring Mary Lambert. She loved this song—as did Harry. It had a special place in Harry’s heart specifically.

The sound of the song bounced around the car and Lily couldn’t help but join in every time the chorus came on. After the song finished Lily turned the radio off because she was nearing Harry’s flat and she didn’t want to hear another song that she knew would not match up to the caliber of Same Love's as it'd probably be some overplayed Ke$ha song. The songs on the radio lost value to Lily after being played so often.

When the pale yellow exterior of Harry’s flat came to view, Lily slowed the car down and parked at the end of his driveway. She got out of the car and shut the door behind her carefully, speedily walking to Harry’s door. She raised her fist to his chestnut-colored front door and wrapped her knuckles against it three times. Straight after the third knock the door flew open.

“Finally,” Harry said, grabbing Lily’s arm and pulling her into his flat, “you’re here!”

“What’s wrong?” Lily asked. She then began to stammer out multiple questions, “Are you hurt? Did the band break up? Did the paps upset you? Di—”

Lily!” Harry yelled, putting his hand over her mouth.

She moved his hand down. “What?”

“Calm down. None of that happened,” he reassured her. Lily looked up at him, her big brown eyes trying to hide the embarrassment she was feeling. “Nothing bad happened. In fact, something good happened!”