Sanctuary

Hey You! Take a second to look over here -->

See that AWWWEEESSSOOMMMEE cover?? Yeah, that one is by GamesGurl! 

_

"OLIVE!" Annabeth's scream echoed through my ears, causing me to wake up and grab the steering wheel, quickly swerving it from the left side of the road away from on coming traffic, maneuvering it over to the right, my heart pounding in my chest and my lungs gasping for air.

Slowly I pulled the Dodge over to the right shoulder and parked the car for a few minutes. I was wake now, and I don't think I will be able to fall back asleep for a while-there is too much adrenaline pumping through my veins.

I blinked back hot tears of exhilaration, feeling a few drop down my cheeks and I let out a loud cry of joy, waking up Grover-Percy had woke up by Annabeth's scream. "AHH! We are alive!" I put a hand over my chest and then took in a deep breath. I also used my right hand and motioned a cross over my torso like the Catholics do. "Oh thank God, I wasn't a believer before but, I am now!" I did the motion a few more times, causing Percy to chuckle breathlessly and Annabeth to roll her eyes.

"Knock it off, stupid." She chuckled and leaned back in her chair, clearly we all had been scared out of our minds with the near death experience we had just been through. Annabeth sighed and closed her eyes.

"Let's get to the nearest hotel. I think it would be best if we just sleep until morning." Percy said, looking a little shaken as well and stretched himself out in the back. "Where are we?"

I put on the left blinker and hopped back on the freeway. "Five miles out side Roanoke." I chuckled and remembered the old story that my Gran had told me about Roanoke and the Lost Colony. She was very superstitious and believed that ghosts were what killed the colonists. I had never really believed that tale, but it still gives me a smile whenever I think back to this place.

We were on a service street in under ten minutes and debating where we would find a good motel or cheap hotel. "How about that one? It looks clean enough on the outside." Grover yawned, pointing out the side back window. "The name is: Croatian Inn." 

"Sounds good enough to me," I shrugged and looked at Annabeth and Percy. "What do you guys think?" Annabeth just shrugged and Percy nodded, neither of them really cared. "Croatian it is."

I parked the Dodge in the tiny parking lot for the motel, then got out to get a room with two beds. Annabeth and I would share one, Percy and Grover could share the other and we would be out by morning.

The hostess frowned when I said I needed a duel bed room, giving the four of us a curious look over. "Look kids, I can't sell rooms to minors. So I'm sorry, but you have to be eighteen to get a room at the Croatian inn." I groaned and rubbed my temples, none of us had a fake I.D. that I was aware of. I was debating using my powers of persuasion once more, when Percy stepped up to the counter with a calculating frown.

"I'm sorry, but I don't believe that is true. You see, this is a motel-people of all ages can stay at these roach houses as long as they pay for it. You guys aren't some kind of fancy hotel, you are a motel." Percy paused and looked around at the peeling walls of the main room and the stairs to the left where the carpet was worn out. "And by the looks of things, you guys aren't getting very many visitors, but we can pay in cash." Percy fanned himself with the money that the camp had given us.

The hostess rolled her eyes and crossed her arms over her chest. "Fine, I assume you are right." She glared down at her ancient computer and typed something into it. "Alright, kiddies. We have a room with duel beds and one bathroom for thirty-five dollars for one night, check out is at one p.m." She gave us another look over, trying to decide why we wanted a room anyway. "I'm supposed to charge extra for a hot water card, but since you all have been so polite I will add that for free." She added sarcastically, but typed something into the computer anyway.