Chapter 14: Twenty Questions

~Sing the Anthem of the Angels, and sing the last Goodbye ~As the sky returns to gray ~ You're dead alive.

It’s becoming harder and harder not to stare.

“Faith?” he questioned, snapping his fingers in front of him. I moved the mint I took of his desk in my mouth, still looking at him. I eat candy when I’m nervous.

I shook my head, and stopped staring at his tattoo. “Sorry.”

He hasn’t even introduced himself, how rude. Luckily I've read a million magazines in my lifetime and know his name, personality, and his favorite color.

David Star has a baby face, and lightly slanted brown eyes. They remind me of Cat eyes, or Egyptian eyes. But I do feel like they should be a different color; more exotic. Shaggy Brown hair covers his forehead, and curled around his ears. His nose is slightly crooked, as if it has been broken a few times. Also there is a scar on his lip. He’s wearing a white button down shirt with a tie, matching with black slacks and a black over coat. What I really don’t understand is the curved, midnight black tattoo along his left jaw, and curving up to his left eyebrow. It has jagged edges like a blade, and branches that twirl and shoot out to his face. The pattern is interesting, but it’s hard not to look at it when he talks.

He frowned and twirled around in his chair, then put his long legs back up on the desk. “I’ll stay turned around if it’s bothering you so much,” he said.

“N-no it’s not that I don’t like it. I just didn’t…” I rubbed my sweaty hands on my skirt, “I’m just really nervous, I could care less about that tattoo. It’s kind of pretty the more I look at it.”

 Now I feel bad. I don’t really think it’s pretty; it’s kind of out there.

“It’s best not to lie in an interview with me. Or in general,” he stated, playing with his tie.

“I’m not lying, I really like it!” Oh geez I just can’t stop.

“Liar,” he sang, and swirled around in his chair. “I’ll have to write that down somewhere. Don’t want a liar as my secretary.”

My eyes widened, as he pulled out a large leather notebook, and scribbled in it. “Lies to impress,” he mumbled to himself, and smiled up at me. The brightness of his teeth practically blinded me, “bad habits. I like it.”

What is going on?

“I’m sorry?”

“Nothing,” he replied, and started to scribble something else. I pulled my neck up to try and look at the paper, and he put his hand in front of it like a wall. After a while of writing he held up the paper. At the top of the paper it says ‘Interview. The paper is split in two and one side says Plus the other side says negative. “As you can see, there are already three comments under negative, and two in positive.”

“What’s in the positive one?”I asked quickly, trying once again to see the paper.

He put a hand up for me to calm down, “I’ll tell you when I’m done interviewing you.”

I sat back in my chair with my arms over my chest, “Ok.”

This time he put his legs up on the right side of his desk, and put the notebook on his lap. “Tell me what jobs you’ve already had.”

I crossed my legs, “Um, I worked at an Ice-cream Parlor, a Toy Store, a Daycare…”I answered, putting my fingers up. “That’s really it.”

He covered his face with his hands and started laughing hysterically. The sound sent chills down my back, because it sounds so cynical. He stopped laughing after a few moments, and wiped tears from his eyes."Oh that's a good one. I do like humor."