Meet the Parents

Chapter 4

(Jennifer’s POV)

          After about half an hour of driving Peter finally pulled up to the blood bank. Gosh, I can’t believe I’m actually going to ask him this but I’ll regret it if I don’t. “Um, hey Peter? Have you ever given blood? I know that’s really weird and kind of disgusting to you probably but don’t take this the wrong way but you smell delicious. Please don’t think I’m like a pervert or anything but I had to ask or I would go insane. You have no idea how hard it is to control bloodlust especially when it’s just the two of us and your scent is filling up the car. But don’t worry I’m not going to bite you I have more control than most that are centuries old even. It’s just our protector bond and it makes you really tempting to me. Sorry I shouldn’t have asked now you’ll want to stay away from me because you’ll think I’m a freak. Just forget it.” God, I feel like a complete retard now and he’ll think I’m a perverted stalker or something.

          “No its okay and I trust you not to bite me too. I have given blood here actually, two whole pints, so go ahead I don’t need it. I don’t exactly understand the concept of bloodlust 100% but I know from Nathan it’s not fun.” He responded my question totally calm. I sat there taken aback for two whole seconds before I responded.

          “Wow. That’s not the response I was expecting, of course I didn’t want that one either but wow. How are you so understanding of this when you’re brought up to believe vampires are bloodsucking heartless, soulless monsters?” I asked him still a little surprised.

          “I did believe most of that until I met Nathan and miraculously we became best friends. I know mated vampires don’t have heartbeats but they do have hearts and souls, well the good ones have hearts at least. I know they need blood to survive but not all drain victims; some hunt animals or like you go to blood banks. Vampires can go out in sunlight but most wear sunglasses because it hurts their eyes. They don’t sleep though.” He responded again in a calm, cool manner.

          “Well yes that’s all true about full vampires but not me. I do sleep from 1am to 5am. It’s my biological clock except sometimes I get up earlier if I’m excited for something, like this morning I woke at 4am. You already know about my diet though. The sun thing actually affects me more than full vampires for an unknown reason, I mean I thought it would affect me less but it doesn’t. I have to wear sunglasses everywhere when it’s sunny out and sometimes sun block too or I would burn and not like humans burn either. I would actually start to burn if I stayed out long enough so the longest I can stay out on a sunny day is one hour or I don’t remember what happens exactly because the one time I was out for longer than that was last summer. I was out by myself by the lake and I had no idea that sun affected me that much. I, thankfully, made it under a large shade tree before I collapsed. I woke up an hour later after the sun had gone down. I had burnt skin all over so I went hunting immediately and it healed quick enough for me to get home before my parents came home from work.” I explained to him. He had a horrified expression on for a minute before it turned sympathetic.

          “Oh my god, I can’t believe something like that happened to you. It must have been hell to go through.” He explained.

          “Yeah, well if I don’t get some blood right now to have on hand then I dread to think about the last time I went through bloodlust. Ah, I almost killed my best friend who was a human. I don’t want a repeat of that.” I told him. It actually wouldn’t have been all that bad to kill her. Killing humans gives you a thrill unlike no other.

          “Hold on a second. I want to try something first.” Peter said as he started to lean in. Oh shit I thought, he’s going to kiss me! That’s not the smartest idea even if I did just eat a whole buck, his blood calls to me.