Wolves of the Wind

The wind began to howl, almost simultaneously with the wolves.  This did not bother me, as I was somewhat partial to it.  On the other hand, my mother was not.  She told me stories of the wolves; stories of the forest.  One of them was about me.

            It was when the wolves existed in great numbers.  Hiding, lurking; deep within the gloom and dampness of the forests.  They had made this their home.  No one dared step foot in the spooky, overlooking darkness; given life by the swaying of the trees in the wind.  The wolves began to howl and it was then that I knew I had to venture into this forbidden place.  I trod exceptionally carefully, knowing my every step was the relation between life and death.  Knowing the wolves could attack me at any time.  My senses began to overpower me.  I could hear the leaves rustling and the souls of the forest drifting through the damp, misty air.  All was quiet.

            I felt as if I had walked for an eternity, so I rested by a clearing in the bracken.  My senses were on fire!  It felt as if I was the heart of the forest.  The owls flying in the moonlit sky, squirrels feasting on newly dropped acorns, salmon jumping through the lush clear spring from the mountains.  And then I heard it.  A low, dark growl; echoing through the treetops; coming towards me.  A wolf.  My heart skipped a beat.  I had only one option.  Run.  Run as fast and as far as I could.  I had to lose the terror. So I ran and scrambled through the fallen twigs.  I stumbled until I came to an opening.  Home.  Safe and sound.  I ran to the entrance of my hut.  Inside, my mother was kindling the fire for my sister, who was carrying her unborn child.  The sound of a stick resounded in my ears.  It all came back to me.  The wolf.  I turned around, and there it stood with its yellow eyes glaring at me.  I thought of my family; my sister and her unborn child.  The wolf began to near.  I could now see its magnificent body.   Its fur, a design of grey, white and black.

            And still it loomed towards me.  By now my mother was by my side, trembling with fear.  The wolf howled.  And the one thing I had feared; a reply.  A reply.  My mother began to panic and my sister was kept in the dark.  She knew not of the wolf as she had fallen asleep.  The wolf was now a foot away from is and my mother was now holding a stick, which she had picked up from the floor.  The wolf howled again and yet another reply followed.  My mother began to jab at the wolf but it snatched the stick in its mouth and flung it to the ground.  My mother was no match against the creature.  At a speed so quick, it startled me, the wolf dashed past us into the hut.

            Myra.  Her unborn child.  My mother began to strike the wolf but it just knocked her to the floor.  He turned towards Myra and I knew what was about to happen.  But I was mistaken, as the wolf slowly walked over to Myra and stood next to where she lay asleep.  It was then that I realised he was there to protect.  Almost at the same time, my father walked in and saw the wolf.  I tried to stop him but I was too late.  BANG!  The wolf fell to the floor, where blood began to encircle it with redness.  The wind began to blow a heavy draught which ruffled our hair.  It sent shivers down my spine.  The wolves outside howled.  The wind howled.  Everything ceased to sound.  Then it hit me.  That wolf was a Wolf of the Wind.

___________________________________________________________________

A/N This is a short story that I've begun my writing with.  Hope you all enjoy.  Would love to hear any comments and constructive critism is very appreciated.