Chapter 30

When we went back to the rest house, Tricia had already gathered everyone in the common room and announced her departure.

"What?! Like, ngayon na?" gulat na tanong ni Jess.

"Yup. I'm taking the flight tonight."

"So, that's why you agreed to come with me here," Patrick remarked.

Alice stood up, her face in a complete shock. "Bakit ngayon mo lang sinabi?"

Tricia chuckled. "I didn't want to spoil the mood yesterday since everybody was in high spirits."

"Can't you just extend for one more night?" I pleaded. "Bukas naman ay uuwi na rin tayo."

"Sorry, everything has been set. And sorry for being selfish regarding this matter. I wanted to make my last few days here memorable, so I decided to come here with everyone. I never thought I'd enjoy it much more than I have expected. To be honest, I purposely didn't make friends in college because I knew I'd leave sooner but spending time with you guys made me feel like I have gained some friends even if it was just for a day and a half."

Mukhang na-touch naman ang karamihan sa sinabi niya habang pinipigilan ko naman ang sarili kong maluha. It had just been a day, but I got to know her in such a short period. Gusto ko pa siyang makilala at maging kaibigan pero ang hindi na kami magkakaroon ng iba pang memories together dahil aalis na siya.

Yna asked if it was okay to know her reason for leaving, so she told us her story. She said she already had a fiancé in the States and their parents wanted them to enroll in the same university. Jess thought she was being forced, but she said it was also her choice, and that she liked the guy because he was nice and would always listen to her stories even if some of them were just rants and nonsense.

Gusto sanang mag-organize ni Alice ng mabilisang farewell party pero sinabi ni Tricia na papunta na raw ang susundo sa kanya. Their driver was around the area, and he would arrive within five minutes.

True enough, her driver arrived after three minutes. Dahil wala na rin naman kaming magagawa ay isa-isa kaming yumakap at nagpaalam sa kanya.

She smiled as soon as she hugged me. "Thanks for listening to me yesterday," she whispered. "Please take care of Ian."

She winked at me after the hug and picked up her bag. Tinulungan siya ni Patrick at sumunod naman kami sa kanya palabas. She waved one last time and said goodbye getting inside the car. Tahimik naming pinanood ang paglayo nito sa amin hanggang sa hindi na namin ito nakita.

And that was the last time we saw Tricia.

***

The mood had plummeted an hour after Tricia left the rest house. Although we were only with her for almost two days, the girls looked sad without her presence. Plano sana naming lumabas at maglibot sa city ngayong hapon pero nauwi na lang iyon sa panonood ulit ng movies dahil wala na sa mood umalis ang iba.

"Nasaan pala si Darryl?" tanong ni Jess kaya napatingin ako sa paligid.

"Is he okay?" added Yna. "S-she's her ex, right?"

The mention of the word "ex" made the air heavier, and Yna looked regretful after what she had said. Although nobody had said a word about it, everyone seemed curious and worried about him. He must be having a hard time right now.

Tumayo ako at napatingin sila sa akin. "I'll find him," I offered. "I think I know where he is."

If it were a normal day, those three would have been throwing teasing comments at me. Fortunately, they were feeling considerate this time.