Prologue

• Dedicated to Karen Christine Moroño

December 1, 2001

Some people say falling in love is like magic. I don’t know if I’ve ever been in love but maybe, what I felt was magic when the boy sitting beside me in class smiled at me.

December 1, 2004

Tomorrow’s my 12th birthday. I told Mark he could date me when I’m old enough. Hmmm. Mom says I’m too old to be watching Powerpuff Girls.

December 1, 2010

What was his name again? I remember he was my third boyfriend.

“I don’t really know how to begin,” Rachelle Harlow murmured while trying to find a way to break things up with her soon-to-be ex-boyfriend.

Damn. Whoever said a breakup is easy for a so-called playgirl like me? she thought with annoyance. Contrary to popular belief, one can’t get used to things like this. I may be a playgirl but I’m not a bad person. I didn’t intend to hurt all of my eight ex-boyfriends. Well, not really.

She took another sip of her iced tea. Or what was once her iced tea but was now melted ice.

She and her boyfriend were dining together in her kitchen with food she prepared herself. She would be alone in their house for the weekend but instead of making out with Jake without worrying about her brother or her parents, she was out trying to end her relationship with the guy who she once thought she’d give up her virginity for.

In truth, the meal was the least she could do.

“J-Jake,” she whispered. “The past six weeks have been really fun and exciting for me. I mean, everything had been so cool and stuff had been really enjoyable and I swear I had been happy.” Did she use too much synonyms? Judging by the odd look at her boyfriend’s face, her statement was definitely incomprehensible.

“I guess we really had a great time, right?” Jake laughed as if he hadn’t sensed anything wrong with her.

She smiled back as she stared in his sharp, grey eyes. He had always been cute more than the handsome, hot type but his eyes that were in contrast with his black hair, made him a bit dangerous.

And there was danger lurking between them now. At least the kind that would be dangerous to her heart.

His expression suddenly sobered. “What is it you really wanted to tell me, Rach?”

Jake’s direct question caught her by surprise. She really wasn’t ready to tell him yet. “Huh? Uhm, well. It’s just that I really want to tell you how much I enjoyed being your girlfriend and that, well, I—”

“You’re breaking up with me, aren’t you?”

She swallowed nervously as she watched his eyes turn from icy cold to murky sad. She changed her mind. They could break up sometime else. “What?” she cried, aghast. “No! It’s just that—”

“Cut it out, Rach. Before I even thought of asking you out for a date, I’ve heard all about the way you are when it comes to relationships. And breaking up. I thought I’d last longer than your dozen ex-boyfriends did but I guess I’m not good enough, aren’t I?” Jake said with what sounded like a lot of self-pity.

“No, Jake. You’re great. Hell, you’re definitely a lot better than that ass who calls himself Gary,” she blabbered. “And that’s saying something. You are a great boyfriend,” Rachelle finished miserably.

“And inviting me here—in your house, with home-cooked dinner—is your way of trying to make the break up easier for both of us. For you, mostly,” he continued as if she never even spoke. “No worries. I guess I’ve already accepted long ago that you would never really stick to one guy for longer than a few months.”

He smiled that smile that told her he knew they were over. Right now, she could no longer identify who broke up with whom. But then again, that might be for the best.

“Can you at least tell me why you’ve finally decided to end things?” he asked after a few seconds.

Rachelle knew there was no reason to try and break things up gently. “I mean it when I said that you’re a great boyfriend,” she began what was apparently a long speech. “We’ve had fun, we like a lot of similar things and you definitely taught me how to enjoy reading books on philosophy. And I can only be thankful for all of that.

“It’s just that, well, I figured we’re better off as friends. I like kissing you though. But there was no longer a spark. At least not for me.” She laughed a little. “I thought that maybe since I like the way you kiss me, it means we have something more than I ever had with all those other guys before.”

“But all of us are the same, right? We all don’t seem to understand you a lot,” Jake said.

She smiled sadly. “I don’t know. I can’t seem to understand myself completely either. Sometimes, I thought I’ve fallen hopelessly in love and then suddenly, I’d start to doubt my feelings until all I can feel is nothing but friendship.” She took his hand in hers. He looked like he wanted to take it back but she held on. “And believe me, I do want us to remain friends. If that is still possible,” she finished.

“I would like that too,” one corner of his mouth curled up as if he was trying to smile. When he tried to take his hand back again, she let him. “But I don’t think I can look at you as a friend anytime soon. You’re breaking my heart after all. I need time to accept the fact that I am not the kind of guy who can ever keep you feeling in love. I wish you the best though. You’re a very special girl and you deserve to find the right guy.” He paused and then slowly stood up.

“Thank you,” she said softly, standing up as well.

Rachelle started to walk Jake to the door. Once he was outside, she kissed him on the lips one last time.

“Thank you for making me fall in love at least for some time. And thank you for not making this any harder than i-it already is,” she told him, her voice broke.

She was already crying. This breakup was worse than what she was used to. Jake Clifford, after all, was this very sensitive guy who showed her just how fun a simple activity such as star-gazing was.

“Goodbye, Rachelle.”

Turning his back, he walked away from her. Her ninth ex-boyfriend.