Well...Not Anymore: Chapter 6

*Sorry if there are any mistakes, I don't have any time to proofread (today's my college going away party) and I wanted to go ahead and post this. Hope you like it :) Oh! And the picture on the side would be Lucas :)

"You are the best thing that's ever been mine!" I sing along to my radio as I climb out of my shower that Saturday morning, getting ready for my only full day of work all week. Saturday's are my absolute favorite because I'm at work from eight until five and then after that I usually head down to this corner restaurant and buy this pasta that's seriously to die for. From there I take my to-go box and then head on home where my parents never are. Saturday is my dad's bar night and my mom, as always, has to work late. 

Sure it may be a little lonely since I don't really talk to anyone all day, but at least I don't have to deal with teachers like Mr. Rochester and irritating girls like Destiny's best friend Marissa who, yesterday, forced me to vacate my spot in the cafeteria because she needed to have a spot for her boy of the week. It took every ounce of me not to scream at her and demand why the hell I should move, but the principal had been right there and there was no way in hell I was getting another week long detention spree.  

And besides, Lucas had been standing right behind Destiny the whole time, which made me feel just the slightest bit unnerved. So, like the spineless little jelly fish that I am, I grabbed my tray of food and moved to the table behind it. Lucas had shot me an apologetic look afterwards, but I had just rolled my eyes in return. He can't apologize for something that he was never willing to stop in the first place. 

Yesterday's episode has made me anxious about today just a bit because I know that Lucas is going to try and apologize for it and I really don't want to have to talk to him again. I just want to ignore that he even exists today. Saturday's are my day and I just can't have him ruin them for me. 

Knowing that I shouldn't get myself so riled up early in the morning, I grab my towel from the hook by the shower and then slip it around my body. After towel drying my hair just a bit, I run some mousse through it so that it'll curl naturally and then head on towards my closet. Since the weather said it'd be hot I slip on some denim bermuda shorts and a semi-decent blouse, knowing that I can't exactly go to work looking like I'm heading for the beach. 

It takes only an hour for my hair to dry and I use that time to eat breakfast and apply what little make up I actually do wear. When I realize that I have about ten minutes to get to work, I grab my bag from by bedroom and then head on out of the front door. I listen to my iPod as I walk which makes the time go by so much faster and so much more peacefully. I can't hear the sounds of ambulances or cop cars or horns honking.  

By the time I reach the book store I have to admit that I'm in a pretty decent mood. There's just something about being outside and feeling the sun on the back of your neck that makes you cheerful. It's surprising too, when I see Lucas emerge from the stack of books and I don't want to wring his neck.  

Hm. Strange. 

"Morning," he says with a friendly smile. 

"Hey," I say in response before grabbing my bag from off of my shoulder and then placing it behind the cash register.  

I then open the register and start to count the money like I do every Saturday morning, but am stopped when I hear Lucas say, "You don't have to do that, I already did." 

Feeling as if some bit of my territory has been stepped on, I flinch away from the register and then look up. Lucas has moved closer towards the front counter so I'm a bit shocked at how close he is to me. I can even smell his cologne from where I'm standing. It smells really good, spicy but so faint that it doesn't make me sneeze or my eyes water. Some of my good mood draining, I ask him, "What time did you get here? You are aware that the store doesn't even open for half an hour, right?"