Chapter 6

One week later

Addie:

Today's Saturday and Jj and I are leaving for the diner I work at. Its about 11:30 and Emmett picks him up around 3:30 but I get off about 5.

"Got your toys?" I asked.

"Yes," he replied.

We climbed into my car and took off. At work it was slow until about 12:30, when lunch rush starts.

I finished high school here, with the help of a neighbor, and should go to college for a better job, I know I can do better, but I don't have the time. Emmett has offered to help, I go to school during day and he goes in the night, but I don't want to do that to him. We're both barely 20 and we are a good match but I don't want to put fatherhood on a kid that's not mine or his.

After lunch rush it slowed down a lot and I could pay more attention to Jj. Around 3:30 Emmett came and took Jj home. I was just finishing up with cleaning my last table when my parents strolled in.

"Addie," my mom said. I ignored them, real mature right?

"Addie, please listen," my dad pleaded.

"My shift ends in five, sit down," I said simply.

I walked back behind the counter. "I'll finish for you Addie, go talk to them," my friend, Diana said.

"I'm good."

"Addie, go." She must have figured they're my parents. She knows my story, most of it.

"Fine." I hung my apron up and walked to my parents.

"Sit, please," Tyler said.I did.

"Addie, we want to know why you left," Annie said.

"Where should I begin?" I asked.

"The beginning?" Tyler suggested.

I laughed and thought for a while.

"When did you leave?" Annie asked.

"The day gran died."

"Why?" Tyler asked.

"You all thought it was my fault. You didn't even look at me or talk to me, ask me how I was or anything."

"Why would we think it was your fault?"

"I was there with her. Are you that stupid? You didn't ask who found her or where?"

"We just assumed it was Aaron," Annie answered.

"Assuming, what did you always tell me about that Father?"

"Assume, it makes an ass out of you and me."

"I guess that makes you and me asses," I said.

"Addie, why did you leave?" Tyler asked.

"I felt so unloved and hated by your family, I couldn't take it. I didn't feel safe in my own home."

"Our family," Annie stated.

"Your family. I have a family now, I didn't two years ago."

"We want it to be our family, We love you," Tyler said.

"No. I don't want to. I'm happy now."

"Why couldn't you have been happy at home? Why did you have to be selfish and leave?" Annie said.

"I'm selfish? Who's the whore that had 11 kids? You couldn't even take care of them!" I felt my anger rising and took a deep breath through my nose.