31. I Miss You

so, i dont know if its bc it's painfully hot or what, but this chapter literally took me 1 day to whip out. i just hated everything i said and yeah /: im super excited for the next chapter though! i always have hard time writing those transition chapters like right before the interesting ones (x um, yeah, im going to shut up now.

______________________________________________________________

Selena's POV: 

"So, what kind of thing should we do?" I shout across the field as I pass the ball to Elaine, kicking quickly to train her reflexes. 

"I don't know. Drew said be unique since it really helped us the first round," Elaine shrugs as she misses the ball, "ugh!"

"Focus," I sternly stare at her as she pouts.

"But, you were the one who started talking!" she complains, throwing her arms up in emphasis.

"I'm just helping you learn to multi-task. No matter what's going on, you should always focus on the ball. You know, get your head in the game," I lecture as she rolls her eyes and groans.

"I hate it when you go parental-like on me," she whines but I raise my hand, halting her from continuing.

"Yeah, yeah, yeah. All this energy you spend ranting could be put into concentrating," I raise an eyebrow at her and she huffs in frustration.

"Whatever."

"Don't use that attitude with me," I scold as I kick the ball a bit too hard this time. With widened eyes, Elaine quickly juts out her foot and returns the ball with full strength to dodge getting hit. The ball comes whizzing back as I continously pass it to her, kicking harder than I intend to. Panting, Elaine dashes back and forth, attempting to avoid getting hit as well as kicking the ball back to me like I want her to. After a while, I decide to pause the ball by setting my right foot on top of it, giving the poor girl a short break.

"Good," I nod my head as she stares at me like I'm insane.

"Are you crazy? You're trying to kill me!" she accuses but I brush it off.

"And you did a wonderful job kicking it back. See? You can do it," I point out and she gasps for air, breathing irregularly.

"That was painful."

"That's the thing about pain. It demands to be felt," I amble towards the bleachers and take a huge sip from my waterbottle, watching Elaine wiggle out of her cleats; her break officially starts now and we switch. This time, I receive the opportunity to play with the other kids' older siblings. 

"So, you're Elaine's sister?" a boy with blazing red hair questions as he balances the ball on his knee, occasionally kicking it up and bouncing it repeatedly back and forth.

"No, but it kind of feels like it," I shrug as he nods and drops the ball back to the grass and passing it to me.

"You?" I question before dribbling down the field and aiming it into the goal effortlessly.

Score. 

"I'm Samantha's brother," he offers the piece of information and my eyes glaze over the strikingly familiar red-haried little girl with the pigtails tied with bright yellow ribbons. 

"You've got yourself a cute sister," I steal the ball from under his feet and we both watch the ball fly into the goal swiftly.

"Damn, you're really good," he huffs as I shrug.

"How long have you been playing?"

"For as long as I can remember," I admit as we continue to tease each other and dash around the broad park. For once, things in life weren't...as bad as usual.