Chapter One: Just the Beginning

Alex's POV

(picture to the side)

I looked to the man infront of me. "You can't be serious."

My mentor, Dr. Evergreen, rolled his aging eyes in annoyance. "Of course I'm serious. How could I not look serious." His face got closer to mine. "See this," he pointed to his wrinkled up forehead. "Serious." He backed up a little. Then his eyes refocused on him. "I don't suppose young Mr. West has anything to say, does he?" Mr. West shook his head with a huge grin on his face. "Good. Now, go get dressed."

I was the first to walk away. I couldn't spare much dignity regarding the fact I was stark naked with my butt in plain sight. I'm sure Mr. West enjoyed that show. I didn't. That's why I left first. Mr. West was just as bare as I. More chiseled, might I add. More muscler, too. 

Maybe I was just jealous. Who knows?

I heard the tapping of wet feet trailing not far behind me. If he kept this up, he'd get a show all the way to the boss's office. "Wait up, Alex!" I paused, involuntarily. "Did you hear him?" A tan arm rested itself on my shoulder. "We're partners now."

Oh, joy. 

"That's great," I replied through clenched teeth. My fake smile was slowly fading the harder my fists clenched at my sides. Surely he noticed how uncomfortable I was, right? Apparently not. 

"You don't sound very excited." His tone seemed hurt. "Well," he said as if that moment never happened. "I have enough excitement for the two of us!" His grip increased on my shoulder causing my face to grow redder. 

I started walking again, shaking off his hand. "I personally think detectives shouldn't have partners. What's the point anyway?" Lies. I actually appreciated having a partner. Just not him. Just not this guy with the Greek God body, killer smile, and intellect to match. I internally groaned. Why me?

I got back to the locker room where all the trainees changed and showered after practice. Wrapping a towel around me, I slammed my personal locker. Which it didn't come as a suprise when my eyes drifted to a still naked Mr. West standing behind me. 

My eyes drifted down his firm abs, then jumped back up to his chest. Ignoring the fact he was looking right at me, I had to get a peek of you know. . . that. 

"Like what you see, Mercer?" My eyes shot back up to his face. My face was on fire. He really just saw me checking out his junk, didn't he?

Of course he did, stupid. He was looking at you the whole time!

I swallowed the big lump in my throat. "It would be criminal if I said I didn't." Hey, the truth never killed anyone.  "I mean, if I were a lady I would totally go for that."

I heard him chuckle. "You know what Alex? I think this is going to be interesting."

"You have no idea, Mr. West."

~

"Wednesday, 2 P.M. Where were you?" I leaned against the interrogation table watching my partner, Cameron West, take charge on the investigation. He had no idea how easy it would be to crack this guy. That's the only reason I let him take it.

The suspect in question, who undoubtedly commited the crime, looked around the room nervously. I could see the needle marks on his left arm. So ontop of being a rapist, he was also an inspiring junkie. 

"Look," Cameron stated in his most calm voice, "you can confess now and get time off for cooperation or you can wait until your DNA comes back positive from the lab and get full time in the slammer. What'll it be?"