Without A Father

Chapter 37: Without A Father

*

Ariana's Pov:

I suspiciously watched as Jenny admired the materials on the rack that I seem to not fond of anymore.

Since we arrived at the mall, I have been dying of curiosity to ask her questions about what she had revealed in the car.

"H-he's Chris' father," her words rung through my head like an eternal peal of bells rumbling in a church.

What she said could mean a million of things. Christopher might not be her son. Maybe that's just her nephew and the guy only asked to babysit, since he had business coming, like said. I wanted to ask her what relation she had with Christopher. I wanted to interrogate her, as my curiosity was eating my insides.

I always hated not knowing things - even when it's not my business.

But by me getting caught earlier listening to their whispered discussion, I think I've invaded enough of their privacy and just asking her questions that I know I don't have the right position to ask, would just be plain rude.

"Here," she began piling different garments on my arms and I looked at her confused.

"Um," was the only thing I was able to make out.

She nodded to the direction behind me and I turned around seeing the words dressing room worded on the steel bars.

"You want me to hold on to these while you try them on?" I raised an eyebrow at her sudden demanding act. I wasn't her maid, who does she think she is? Just because at work she gives me demands and I easily obey - it being a requirement of my job - doesn't give her the right to boss me around outside of work.

She smiled at my taken back appearance and soon began laughing while grasping her stomach.

Okay what did I do? Why do people always laugh at me?

I crossed my arms keeping my unyielding look, not at all pleased by her way of reaction towards my question. Waiting impatiently until she finally can manage her throaty laughs - that seems to annoy me as it sounded like a witch plotting their plan to slay - she began calming down, still keeping her grin expression as she spoke.

"No. You're trying it on silly."

I looked down at all the clothes and my eyes bulged out of my eyes at the amount that I carried. I couldn't. They we're all too much.

"Just try them on and if you don't like them then we'll put them back," she said as if she read my mind but more of my obvious full eye sockets.

I gave her a faint smile and began walking towards one of the cubicle, then closed the door before settling the clothes neatly on the bench.

Grabbing my wallet from my back pocket, I sighed as I scanned through the money I earned this week at work. I didn't have money to spare for any clothes to buy; having to pay my bills for the house and to add on with the groceries to satisfy my stomach.

I wish I finished high school. I wish I had enough strength back then to take in my father's pitiless beatings until I graduated so I could have a gone to college but I didn't. I was weak. And now look where I stand; a worker at Starbucks.

Placing the wallet back to its original spot, I sighed as I began scanning through the beautiful garments that we're surprisingly all my size.

How did she know what size I wore?

Picking up one of the dresses, my hands admired the silky fabric and it's basic structure. How can something be so simple yet be so beautiful? I smiled remembering a saying. Maybe they are right; Simplicity is beauty.