"Designer Genes - The Boyfriend Cut" - Chapter One

Designer Genes-"The Boyfriend Cut" © 2013 Harley Brooks 

ALL RIGHTS RESERVED 

The Cataloging-In-Publication Data for Designer Genes-"The Boyfriend Cut" is on file in the Library of Congress. 

ISBN: 978-0-9856598-3-7 

Cover Design © Kelli Ann Morgan  - Inspiration Creative Services 

www.inspirecreativeservices.com 

Editing by Lynne Harter  - Word Nerdy Editing Services 

http://www.wordnerdyediting.com 

Formatting by Bob Houston 

http://about.me/BobHouston 

Printed in the United States of America 

__________________________________________________ 

For renowned author, Ivy Ruckman who told me one rainy afternoon four years ago, Designer Genes would be published. 

Thanks for believing in me.

__________________________________________________ 

Love is supposed to be a choice made by the heart . . . not the government. 

Born with the genetic markers the government seeks, an unassuming seventeen-year-old girl is dropped in the middle of a covert cloning program where her future is secretly decided. Marli Davis wants out of the government's clutches until she meets her destiny . . . and his twin brother. 

Over six feet of lean muscle, lips that should be registered as lethal weapons and the perfect link to Marli's genetic code, Jordan Mason's only strategy is to fulfill his government contract, not fall in love. His heart, however, changes the game plan and when jealousy spins everything out of control, he chances losing Marli forever. 

Jesse Mason offers Marli the one thing Jordan can't give her. Freedom. All he asks in return? Her heart - a price she's not sure she can pay. 

Is a life without love, or Jordan, a sacrifice Marli's willing to make? Is Jordan's love for Marli strong enough to fight for her, or strong enough to let her go? 

A choice ruled by the heart. A destiny ruled by the consequence. 

 __________________________________________________ 

CHOSEN

Red. A powerful color demanding immediate attention, yet foreboding and suggesting danger - proceed with caution. The total opposite of what I intended to do, but not alone. 

Overhead, the spring sun burned with the same impatient intensity vibrating within me. I drummed my bare toes against the warm concrete stairs and picked at a piece of mortar between the bricks. Fifteen minutes had passed since the courier delivered the envelope and I'd launched a panicked call for help. 

"Hurry up," whispered across my lips delicate as the brush of dragonfly wings, while save me thundered inside my rattled brain. My eyes dropped to the bold letters on the label. 

April 10, 2072. Interview Request for Candidate 5846 - Selection A for Candidate 2255. 

The heartbeat in my ears thrummed louder. I'd never received a red envelope - a request for an interview - one for my possible assigned genetic link: mate. If I listened closely, I heard the sound of my normal life skidding to a halt and felt the tentacles of The Program reach for me, leaving the edges of my dreams to fray until they disappeared.