Chapter 10 - The Rivers

Start from the beginning

''Seward'' Annabeth corrected, I sighed. ''He was a New York governor. Minor demi-god - son of Hebe, I think. But that's not important. It's the statue I care about'' she continued.

''Don't tell me he's an automaton'' Percy said looking at Annabeth,

I knitted my eyebrows together and said ''a what?''.

Annabeth turned and said to me ''it's a creation of Daedalus, the creature of the Labyrinth'' I nodded. She turned her attention back to Percy and said ''turns out most of the statues in the city are automatons. Daedalus planted them here just in case he needed an army''.

''For what fighting or defending Olympus?'' I questioned, Annabeth shrugged. I walked back to my bike, to let them talk about it. I didn't care less.

I answered my phone since it was ringing annoyingly loud. I gritted my teeth I swear if it was some other lame complain I'll go nuts. ''Hello?'' I sighed.

It was Anna. ''What's the matter?'' I asked.

I could make out a faint argument in the background, ''Arya, the Greeks..'' she started.

I sighed and ran my hand through my hair, ''Anna, please I don't know what happened but sort it out'' I moaned, she groaned and was about to say something but I cut her off. ''Hand the phone over Katie'' I grunted, Katie was the head of the Demeter cabin.

''Hello?'' Katie answered but I heard a little bit of acidity,

''Katie what is going on?'' I said

''the Romans are getting in our way'' she proclaimed,

I huffed ''what are they doing exactly?'' I challenged.

''Well, they are not growing the plants properly, which means that we have to regrow them and it's wasting our time'' she muttered,

I closed my eyes and said ''you are all brothers and sisters, try to get along...and the pathetic answer you just gave me...is a lie and you know it'' I said coldly towards the end.

She whispered a low ''sorry'' and I cut the line.

Percy and Annabeth were at my side, when I ended the call. Percy said ''complains?'' I sighed and nodded. Then we made our way to the rivers again. We parked our rides by a Battery Park or something, then Percy told Annabeth to wait. She argued back but lost. Percy went into the polluted water and disappeared.

I decided to talk to Annabeth ''so, how long have you known Percy?'' I asked,

she shrugged and said ''for almost 6 years''. I leaned against my bike when she asked me ''so who do you live with?''

I smirked and said ''my mum, my mortal mum''.

She looked at me confused for a second ''wait, so you really were born through a mortal? she asked amazed,

I rolled my eyes and said ''duh, Jupiter told my parents to get rid of me, so they transferred me to a mortal's womb with the help of the other Gods''.

''Wow'' she said,

I shrugged and said ''to be honest I really don't think that, I consider Neptune as my father, but...I consider my mortal mum as my mother, not Venus.''

She looked at me stunned ''why?'' she gasped.

I took a deep breath and said ''well, Venus is lovely and everything....but she doesn't look at me like a daughter.'' The look on Annabeth's face told me to continue so I did. ''She sees me more like a threat or a disease. I don't know why but...she does and I tried to ignore it...then I realised that no one can. I tried to treat her like a mum, but she rejects it.. and I can't handle that..'' I whispered, but my voice still cracked and I felt tears building up. This was a touchy subject for me, and I hate the look on her face when she sees me. She doesn't act it in front of the other Gods especially dad, and every time I look at her eyes, it always reads the same message 'I wish you were never born'. I could never hate anyone, but she is the closest I'll ever get.

Annabeth looked at me with pity in her eyes and gave me a hug. I hated looking weak, but sometimes we all have to. ''I'm sorry, I shouldn't have asked'' she murmured lowering her head,

I shook my head and touched her arm ''there is no need for an apology, but do me a favour and don't tell anyone''. I really don't want people to know about my personal problems. She nodded and then her phone rang.

She answered it, and by the look on her face, I knew that it was serious. She cut the line just as Percy came to us. ''It worked, the rivers are safe'' he told us,

''good because we've got other problems. Michael Yew just called. Another army is marching over the Williamsburg Bridge. The Apollo cabins need help. And Percy the monster leading the enemy....it's the Minotaur'' Annabeth said, her voice shaking.

I gasped and clenched my jaw. I am not gonna let dumb half cow take anyone away from me, I will tear it limb by limb if it even looks at Josh. ''We have to go now'' I said sternly, and both of them quickly nodded but I saw the doubt in their eyes.