Patron of evil crosses the Rio Grande

Excerpt from "Day of the Dead"

........ Wynono ate a meagre breakfast of fruit and tea and awaited the return of Adulio with disinterest.

The Mexican staff avoided contact with him. He already knew that Hernandez was no more. The limo drew up outside the hacienda and Adulio stormed in and went directly to his bathroom. Wynono packed his bag and walked to the front door. 

“Where are you going?” 

He turned to face Adulio, “I am leaving. You failed to bring Hernandez back to me. Our deal is off.” 

“We wanted Hernandez as much as you did!” 

Opening the front door, “Yes, but I planned to keep him alive for a bit longer than you did.” 

“Step back inside and close the door!” 

Wynono turned from the open door and took a step towards Adulio, not looking at the gun levelled at him, but staring unblinking into Adulio’s eyes. 

“Most men I meet up with are fools. You are no exception. Do you think that all of your drug dealing, killing, torturing and destruction has no source outside of yourselves?” He stopped within a single pace of the now wavering gun barrel, “Did all this just happen to pop into your head one day as a clever plan for your life? I think not.” He paused and held his hand out towards the gun, “Did it never occur to you that one day you may meet the patron of all of your codes and values?” 

Adulio saw before him a door that had been opened. Beyond that door were things so unspeakable he could barely draw breath. He knew that the door would never close until he had stepped through it. 

Wynono wiped his bloodied hand down the front of Adulio’s linen jacket and let the limp body fall to the hallway tiles. He pocketed the pistol, walked down the long, brick paved driveway, through the open gates, turned onto the street and headed for the centre of town. 

The houses looked different by daylight, but he was able to locate the hechicero he had consulted a couple of days earlier. 

The interior of the house was darkened by heavy drapes over the windows and door openings. 

“So you are not preparing for the celebrations? I would have taken you for an enthusiastic participant! Maybe you would get a place on one of the floats!” The hechicero cackled from the shadows. 

“I did not come here to exchange jokes! I have sacrificed two of my most promising pawns in my quest to lure this man, this Achai!” He spat out the name like a curse. “He is here, close by, but he drifts out of my grasp.” 

“You sound less confident today my friend. Perhaps you could go to him, but come to me instead?” holding up a hand to stay the next wave of invective that threatened to burst from Wynono’s lips. “You need to corner those he has committed to protect, those he cherishes.” 

“Who are they? Pray tell me.” 

“The blonde one, he leads a charmed life and he has the love of two women. This Achai will stop at nothing to protect and avenge his young charge. Lure the young one and this Achai is yours.” 

Wynono started to show a keen interest, “Where do I find this young buck?” 

A swarthy hand waved from the shadows, making the open palm and rubbed fingers sign for money. 

Achai dug out Adulio’s pigskin wallet and threw a thick wad of green bills onto the sand. 

“Across the river. At a motel with a green cactus guarding the entrance. They will be there tonight.” 

“Anything else?” 

The hand picked up and hefted the stack of bills, “They have a ranch in the hills, pretty place, beautiful horses. Achai has his pueblo there.” 

Wynono stood up and walked out into the blinding glare of the afternoon sidewalks. Children in skull masks ran past screaming and one jostled Wynono from behind. A blow against the side of his head sent the child sprawling into the road..........