Chapter 30 - UNCUT

Chapter 30 - UNCUT

“Ahh, so you guys have met?” Percy smiled broadly as he strode out to help me from the wagon.  It was almost dark and we had just arrived at the camp. 

“Percy?  You know these this lot?  Was it you who let them travel with only one guard on this road?  Dangerous road that one,” Arthur dropped from his horse to greet Percy.

“Call it fishing,” Percy smirked, “I didn’t expect to catch you so easily Arthur. I thought I would have to walk around the woods for hours shaking a heavy purse!  Are fat greedy bastards getting so hard to find that you are resorting to highway robbery?”

“Percy you insult me with your slander.  You will taint my reputation with talk like that,” Arthur growled but I could see the affection in his eyes.

“You two know each other?”  I looked between them.

“You could say that!” both men looked at each other and laughed.

“And what’s this about fishing?”

Percy just laughed.

I was glaring at Percy as one of Arthur’s men, who had been walking at the rear of the wagon, attracted his attention then jutted his head in the direction of the campsite.

“What is the meaning of this Percy?” Arthur’s eyes widened and he took a step away from us while drawing his sword.

Thomas automatically stepped in front of me with his hand resting on his sword. 

I glanced over to see what had caused this reaction. Standing in a rough line were the men of the twelve.  I quickly put my hand over Thomas’ preventing him from drawing his weapon.  Jonathan’s eyes caught the movement and I saw his face flinch with pain. But now was not the time for jealousies.  I shook my head at him and turned to Douglas indicating to him that no swords should be drawn.

“Percy when you said ‘catch’ what exactly did you mean?” Arthur scowled as he and his men backed away.

“Calm down Arthur, this is not what you think,” Percy put his hands out to Arthur trying to calm him.

“The twelve are loyal to me Arthur, not the King.  They are here for my protection not to apprehend you.  I need your help.  Please lower your weapons.”

“The twelve have sworn their allegiance to the Crown.  Who are you?  You cannot command soldiers of the Crown.”  He turned to look at me.  “You have so far refused to answer my questions as to your identity.  I require a straight answer before I relinquish my sword.”

“Very well, I am Queen Maeb.”

Arthur’s eyes swung around in surprise but laughter erupted from him, “And I am the Pope. Don’t make the mistake of thinking me the village idiot my Lord.”

 The chortles of smothered laughter came from the twelve.

“Maeb is not lying Arthur.  She is in disguise as Lord Maine, yet again.  You met her many years ago. Do you not recognise her?”

“That girl has not been seen from for almost four years.”

Percy breathed as small scoff of surprise and shook his head, “I would have thought you would have had better spies than that Arthur!  Maeb take off the coat and gloves, let the man see you.”

Thomas turned and helped me but I could see his apprehension, “Are you sure you trust this man with your secret?”

“I trust Percy, Thomas.  If Percy trusts him then I do too.”