Chapter 24

Chapter 24:

Everyone was quiet on the ride back to the base. Derek, James, Angela, Will and Sam had all shown up when Jack called.

Jack and Will were riding in Jack’s car and I somehow ended up in the van. I couldn’t really remember getting out of the house or getting into the car. My mind was curiously blank and I seemed to be completely drained of energy. Derek had asked me a few questions and I hadn’t responded at all. I heard what he was saying but it was as if the words were spoken underwater.

Everyone kept shooting me concerned glances as we drove home but I just didn’t care. Calypso was gone and I was going to die.

We arrived at the base and I walked like a zombie towards my room, wanting to be alone. Before I could shut the door, Sam strode in behind me. “Okay so she’s dead. You barely even knew her!”

I cringed at her blunt words. She couldn’t understand. She just didn’t get it.

“I just don’t see why you’re so upset. I mean, Harper wasn’t even there! That’s a good thing, right?” For a second, uncertainty flashed across her pretty face. Maybe she saw something in my eyes because for a second, she just stared at me. “C’mon Cass, talk to me.” She moved to sit next to me on my bed and for a second I was brought back to all those times she’d burst into my room after a date and gave me all the gory details. I smiled a little at her, thinking of the days when we’d just been Sam and Cass. Now we were the Cole Sisters, powerful and hunted.

I shook my head, letting my smile fall.

“Sam, how did we get here?”

Sam just looked at me for a moment, her expression confused before understanding lit her eyes. “You mean how did we end up as two of the most powerful people in a magical world that we knew nothing of until recently?” I nodded. “No clue,” she said, shrugging her shoulders gracefully. Her blonde hair fell in silky waves down her back and her make-up was perfect. Seriously, what the hell? I had caught a peek at my reflection earlier and it was not good. My plain brown hair was a large tangle down my back and I wasn’t wearing a stitch of make-up. My eyes had dark circles around them making it look like I’d just been in a fight and my clothes were so wrinkly that they almost looked like they were designed that way. Almost.

I sighed, letting my back fall against the mattress.

“Listen Cass, just because your powers are dark─”

“What?” I interrupted her, snapping my head to face her again.

She shrugged. “Well, no offense or anything but clearly your mother was not on the good side of this magical war, right? Not to mention, it looks like you got your powers directly from her so it sort of fits that your magic is dark.”

My heart skipped a beat as I stared at my sister. Dark magic? She thought I was evil?

“You could just not use them, you know? You don’t really like having powers anyway so maybe you could just pretend they’re not there so you won’t have to worry about it.”

The edges of my vision were going dark as anger threatened to take over. “What the hell are you talking about?”

“It just seems like you don’t have much control sometimes and I think that in this fight, you might end up killing someone who’s on our side even though you won’t mean to.” She patted my leg reassuringly.

I brushed her hand aside and stood up before striding towards the door. I stopped with my hand gripping the handle and said, “I’m not bad, Cass. Whatever you think of me, I don’t want you to think I’m a bad person. I don’t think powers are good or evil. It’s the person who makes them that way. My mother was powerful and she was undeniably twisted but I’m still me. I thought that you of all people would be able to see that.” She didn’t say anything as I walked out of the door, leaving Sam in my room.