The Paid Girlfriend

A/N: chapter 8 is private so you'll have to follow me to read it. Sorry c: it's not my fault. I guess Wattpad thought it was a wee bit too much lol. Also, you may have to wait a little while for it to work. The link's in my message board if that helps as well <3

Chapter One

"Oh la, la, hottie at twelve o'clock," Devon whispered under his breath, grabbing a menu for the customer. "Wish me luck sweetness."

I rolled my eyes as he practically skipped away, too focused on trying not to make a mess of refilling the salt shakers to look up. I've worked for Mel's Diner for half a year now and already my coworkers were like family to me. Devon was full-on, flamboyantly gay and was so proud he wore it like a second skin. Too bad his parents didn't share that feeling. They disowned him and now he was saving every penny like it was his last.

"Ugh, he's married," Devon muttered solemnly, stomping back, giving the cook his order ticket.

"Poor Devy," Tonya cooed mockingly, reaching over to ruffle his black hair. He slapped it away, grabbing a glass and filling it with sweet tea.

"Whatevs, I wouldn't have had time for him anyways," Devon muttered, poking his bottom lip out sulkingly.

I screwed the top on the last salt shaker and pushed it into the little wired basket before brushing my hands off against my apron. "It'll be alright Dev. You deserve happiness," I said reassuringly, reaching over to squeeze his shoulder before he shuffled away.

"He needs to give up already on the Cinderella fantasy he has going on. No one's going to come in here, sweep him off his feet and give him everything his little heart desires," Tonya muttered, wiping down the counter, wisps of blond hair falling in her face.

"Tonya," I scowled her. "That's mean."

She rolled her green eyes. "Sab, you can't honestly say you're not tired of hearing Dev whine about every straight or married guy that walks in here."

I rolled my eyes. "Devon's going through a tough time. He needs us."

She huffed but said nothing else. It was just the three of us for tonigt, plus the cook for the night, Jimmy. We were just forty minutes until closing time and I just prayed no one else came in.

Devon came back with his hands full of his last costumers' tip and a tub full of dirty dishes.

"I have to stick these in the dish washer, Cruella, do you mind giving table seven his order?" Devon asked Tonya.

"Sure, want me to spit in it?" Tonya snarked, grabbing the hot plate.

Devon snorted, "no thanks sugar, lord knows what disease you'll give him." With that he disappeared in the back.

I rolled my eyes. Tonya and Devon had the oddest relationship I've ever seen. It was like they loved to hate each other. One second they're whispering behind each other backs, calling each crude names, and the next second they're spitting in costumer's food for each other.

Tonya came back and asked if it was okay for her to leave early. I waved her away. She usually slacked off when the owner wasn't around. Devon's last costumer left, leaving a heavy tip and I told him it was cool if he left too. He'd lucked out and got a double shift so I knew his feet were killing him. With a kiss on my cheek and a thank you he skipped out of the diner.

I was wiping off the last remaining table when the bell ringed, singling that someone walked into the diner. I sighed disappointedly. Looks like I'm missing Scandle tonight. With a forced smile I turned around...

Only to jump back a foot.

I shrieked, dropping the rag on the ground and covering my heart as if to keep it from bursting from my chest. Jimmy busted out the kitchen, spatcula and greasy apron included.