Epilogue

The most important thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother. - Theodore Hesburgh

Epilogue

Cooper's POV:

Santa just left the house. Emily and I snuck into the living room arranging presents for the kids, taking bites of cookies and drinking the milk that was left. Even though Mason and Addy know the truth, they agreed to play along for Peyton.

Two months of pure marital bliss on my part. I still do stupid stuff, jump to conclusions, and say the wrong things, but Emily loves me in spite of it all. Our lives are still busy, but we find time for just us...everyday. It's important for me to let her know that no matter how crazy our lives are at the end of the day it's just the two of us. Loving her is still the easiest thing I've ever done.

"Would you like to open your gift now?" Emily asks as she hugs me from behind. Her hands are rubbing my abs and one finds its way over my heart. I breathe in her touch as my hands cover hers.

"Just a minute I have to go get yours." I tell her, but don't move, yet, because I am enjoying this moment.

I hand her my present to open first. She takes out the piece of paper that I had wrapped in a box. "Oh, it's perfect." It is the itinerary for our honeymoon to St. John, leaving January 4th. The children will be in school, but her semester doesn't start until the end of the month. In big bold letters I wrote, because I miss seeing you in a swimsuit. I let her know her mom and dad agreed to come stay with the kids while we are gone.

She quickly kisses me, and hands me her gift. She's all bright eyed and smiles watching me open the present. "Oh, a new picture for my desk," I say before I turn it over to look what she had framed. It was static and fuzz with a small dark smudge. My eyes begin to water and I look at her, and her chin quivers. I read the inscription, coming July 30th Baby Mills.

My face drops and my heart swells. We're going to have a baby. I look at her in awe; she's having my baby. I pull her into my arms and nuzzle her neck. "I love you," I whisper. As we pull apart I put my hand on her stomach and imagine our baby growing. "Are you ok with this?" I ask, because she has miscarried before.

"I'm scared, but the doctor assures me that there is nothing that would prevent me from carrying this baby to term. But, if it's ok with you, I'd like to keep this between us until the second trimester, just in case." I pull her close kiss her and assure her that we will keep this our secret for a while.

I settle her back in our bed and help her out of her nightgown, before resting my head on her stomach. My baby is in there. My lips kiss her abdomen, and then go to explore some of my favorite parts before I make love to my precious wife.

That was eight months ago. I have been with her every step of the way, through nausea and morning sickness, back pains and false labor, insomnia and swelling, and through tender breasts (men should be warned about that, by the way). There is not a day that goes by that I'm not thankful for my wife and the family I have because of her.

I legally have two children, now. Addy asked us to adopt her, because she was tired of not having parents. I also adopted Peyton, but we changed his middle name to Cahill, to honor his first adopted dad. Mason asked that he keeps his dad's name, and I honored his request.

"Little man, let your momma sleep. She's a little bit tired with the baby in her belly," I tell Peyton when he wants to ask his mom a question. Emily went to lie down about an hour ago. She's exhausted. She's not able to sleep through the night with constant trips to the bathroom and being unable to find a comfortable position to rest.

Peyton goes to find Addy to play on the Wii, and I hear Emily call for me. "Did you have a nice nap?" I ask. She shakes her head and tells me the baby is pressing on her lower back. I take the cue and begin rubbing her lower back trying to relieve the pressure. She makes the sweetest sounds as I knead her muscles. I help settle her in a comfortable position and she falls asleep with my hand soothing her neck.

I leave to make lunch for the kids, and go to check on Emily. She hasn't eaten much today, and I know she will be hungry.

"Honey, I think it's time to go. I think my back pain is actually contractions, and they're 10 minutes apart." Emily says as I walk into our bedroom. I look at her and it registers...we're having a baby, now. I start to panic and begin getting her bag, her purse, her medical papers, gather the kids, and call Emily's parents. As I put away the phone, she takes my hand and I instantly calm back down. "Don't worry it's a short drive to the hospital. We still have time. Are you ok?" She asks as she touches my cheek.

"I'm fine now. I think I have everything, are you ready to go?" She nods and holds my hand as I help her into the vehicle.

We drop the kids off with Keira, and she and CJ will bring them to the hospital later.

As we check in and settle in the birthing room, I ask, "How can you stay so calm? I'm a nervous wreck."

She smiles at me and then grimaces as a contraction rips through her small body, "It's still early. I'll loose my cool soon. Just promise me that you won't divorce me no matter how bad it gets."

I kiss her long and gentle, "Never. You're stuck with me, and I am with you. The way it should be."

We have been here for four hours, and she is contracting every 5 minutes sometimes less; but her labor is not progressing. The doctor has to come in and break her water, and hopefully soon our baby will be here and she can rest. She's in so much pain, and all I can do is encourage her. I hold her hand; let her squeeze mine until I have no circulation, "Talk to me. Take my mind off of this," she says and I do. I talk to her about the day we met, and walk her through our life together, so far. I even tell her about what our future holds. "I love you. You're doing an amazing job," I tell her and she smiles weakly at me. She is so tired.

She is given an epidural, few hours later, the doctor comes in and discusses the option of a c-section. As of right now labor is slow, but if there are complications with mom or baby a c-section will have to occur. We sign paperwork, just in case, and pray that it doesn't.

The last hour has been a flurry of activity. The nurse comes and preps Emily for a c-section, strapping down one arm and calling in an anesthesiologist, and he began numbing her for surgery, but when they checked her progression, the baby was crowning. Her labor had picked up. They administered meds to give her enough feeling to help push.

"Don't pay attention to that," I tell her in between contractions. "Focus on me. The doctor will tell you when to push. You're doing great. I'm looking forward to seeing our baby. I hope it has your smile, and your nose, and your lips." She smiles weakly at me. She's fading, exhausted from bringing our baby into the world. I sooth her cheek, just as her final contraction begins.

My eyes never left Emily until I heard a very unhappy tiny cry, and I had to look at our new baby. The doctor announces, "Congratulations mom and dad, it's a boy." We had chosen not to find out the sex, because we both like the idea of a surprise...and it would be loved no matter what. They hold him up for a moment for us to get a peak, but he isn't placed on Emily's chest because she is still strapped down for surgery. The baby is moved away and cleaned up as they begin to release the straps, and I can't take my eyes off of the precious sight...my wife.

"Dad would you like to do the honors?" The nurse asks as she clamps the umbilical cord and offers to let me cut it. I search Emily's eyes and she nods for me to go see the baby.

When I return, I bring our son and tell her, "He's absolutely perfect just like his mom."

Daniel Syndey Mills was born on Patrick's birthday and named in honor of my sister, and he is loved.

________

This was my first book and I thank you for reading.

Please vote and/or leave a comment. Your feedback is very motivating.

This book started it all, but check out my other books:

to read without spoilers the order is---

His One Request: Mason's story - complete. Emily's oldest son Mason, now an adult, working for his grandfather, moves to take care of his sister, but finds a new love in an old friend.

It's Not That Easy: Addy's story - complete. Addyson, comes home to attend medical school. Finding the strength to fight the demons from her past, she slowly takes charge of her own life.

To Protect and Serve: Holden's story - complete. Emily's nephew, Holden, fights only himself as he tries to balance his love for a girl with his need to protect her.