Hesitant Propositions

When I do make it home, just as dark falls and the screeching starts up in the distance - the corpses do that at night - I'm subjected to the silent treatment. They think they're punishing me, but honestly, it feels like a favour. It's been a long fucking day, and I don't want the argument.

I cook chicken and vegetables, from frozen packets, of course. My mind is elsewhere as I complete the dull task, focused almost entirely on the bus and the men and the work left to do. Another couple of days and I can send them on their way. It won't be enough to guarantee their safety, but it will improve their quality of life.

We eat together in the living room (this house doesn't have a dining room), plates balanced in our laps. They talk amongst themselves, but no conversation is aimed my way. No matter, because my mind is occupied.

It's not as if I'm giving these men special treatment. I've done this for plenty of survivors. Packed them up, found them cars, found them supplies, given them a direction to drive in. The difference here is the bus. They've already got a vehicle fit to live in. It just needs some modifications, and I'm good at that. These days, I'm a DIY extraordinaire.

Plus, if they survive, the world will be in need of artists. One day, when things are better, the world might long for music again. I can't imagine many pampered, entitled celebrities have made it. If I save them, I save a piece of the future and the past.

So the next morning I'm up, showered and dressed early.

It's strange; I'm unwilling to name this... Eagerness. I'm not looking forward to seeing them. I just want the burden of this obligation over with.

When I pull up to the bottom of the hill, I find that I'm expected. Frank and Gerard are goofing around at the top of it, shoving and pushing and laughing at each other. They stop when the car approaches, and Gerard is already waving.

He rushes down the hill to greet me.

"Hey," He says breathlessly when I roll down my window. He's grinning. "We were waiting for you." I'm almost... Touched by the expectation. "There's a little dirt path if you circle round this hill. You can park next to the bus then, and we don't have to struggle up and down."

"Amazing," I nod, and do as I'm told.

When I shut off the engine, my door is opened for me. I step out, eyes narrowed at Frank.

He shrugs innocently, and gives me a pleasant grin. "My mom's lessons."

I don't retort, because it's nice to be welcomed, and there's no need to ruin the atmosphere. Mark, Alissa and Natalie have never been so happy at my return; they're always angry and scornful. My arrival has never been something to celebrate.

Pandora rushes out of the car too, and when Frank coos and reaches for her, she only snaps at him once. After that, she rolls onto her back and shows him her pink belly. Grinning brightly, he sits on his knees and scrubs at her.

"What's the plan for today, then?" Frank asks, and turns his dark eyes my way.

I start and twist away, annoyed at being caught staring. Gerard trails me to the boot of the car, and his eyebrows climb his forehead when I pull it open.

"Okay..." He shoots me a look that assures me I'm crazy. "And where are you putting that?"

Frank joins us, and he throws me the same look. "We already figured out there are no outlets under the bus."

"I'm going to make one before that food defrosts." I assure them, and wave a hand to the new boxes, stuffed behind the silver freezer that's strapped inside the car.