The Search for Paradise - Chapter 4

Chapter 4

**Courtney**

"Hahahaha!" I giggled again as Ben (my brother) attempted to get popcorn in his mouth by throwing it up in the air. We were watching The Hangover, again. It was one of my favourite movies so I didn't really mind that I was missing parts of it because I had seen it so many times before.

"Oh yeah, you can laugh, I'd like to see you try!" He said, almost accusingly. Ben was my twin, he didn't go to our school though because he got offered a scholarship to go to a really good school on the edge of town. I tossed a piece of popcorn up into the air and caught it in my mouth. I turned to him and smirked.

(How the hell? No fair! I've tried to do that for years!!) He shook his head at me and narrowed his eyes. The only thing that worried me was that he never opened his mouth, and his voice sounded sort of distant.

"Wait. How did you say that without opening your mouth?!" I gave him an alarmed look, he gave me a puzzled one back.

"Say what? I didn't say anything." He threw another piece of popcorn up and missed again. (Stupid popcorn. Why can't I do this?) The same voice returned. I decided to answer it.

"It's cos you can't aim, doofus." He turned to me and looked alarmed for a minute, then just continued watching the film. As he did, the voice came back.

(How did she know I was thinking that? It must of been a coincidence, she must have been making conversation... Ooh, this bit is my favourite part!!)

It was then that a realisation came over me, and I realised that it was his thoughts that I was answering and that, for some reason, I could hear them. "I'm gonna go get more snacks." I wandered out of the room to see my mum in the kitchen doing a crossword puzzle.

(Wait, that can't be right! If that doesn't fit there, then this one must be wrong too... oh dear. Another word for myth... hmmm. 7 letters. _e_e_d. I suck at these puzzles, I really do.)

"Legend, mum. I need to talk to you." I always had a knack for crosswords. She turned to me and smiled.

"Aww, hun, you think I'm a legend! Thanks, darl! What do you want to talk about?" She put her pen down and gave me her undivided attention.

"No, mum. Legend is the crossword answer." I rolled my eyes.

"Oh. Oh! Yes hun your right! Wait... How did you know that?!" (I hope this isn't what I think this is!) She narrowed her eyes at me. "Have you been reading my paper?" (I can only hope.)

"No, I read your mind." I giggled and wandered over to the fridge, got a coke and turned and stared at her, sipping it slowly. I was not getting wound up about this, there was probably a simple cure, and mum obviously knew what I was on about.

(Uh oh. I was afraid of this) "Okay, listen dear. Are you sure?" I nodded my head quickly.

"Yeah so, why? I'm a little confused. Is there some kind of potion I can drink, or what?" I said in a kind of joking way. "It's kind of cool though, I'm not sure I want to get rid of it!"' I grinned.

"Well that's good then, cos you can't." She said, glaring at me like I had done something wrong. "Your Grandma can read minds as well, it must be hereditary. Get your coat and we'll go to see her now."

I got my coat of the hook and followed mum out of the door, quickly yelling goodbye to Ben as I passed the living room, he looked confused.

**Bea's POV**

"Soo, what movie do you want to see? I've not seen the newest Harry Potter, what about that?" I said, turning to Adam and smiling. It had taken about 2 hours to get ready for my date (I know, ridiculous), for some reason I was really excited. More than any other date I'd been on. In the end I had settled on an one shouldered red dress that went just above my knees with some simple black pumps and a cute little black bag to match.

"Yeah, Harry Potter sounds good. Or there's Horrible Bosses? That looks good too... and I think I'm going to see Harry Potter next weekend with my family." He said, raising his eyebrows.

"Okay, Horrible Bosses it is then." I said, nodding. He went and bought the tickets and we went into the screen just before the adverts ended.

The date went well and half way through he put his arm around me and when I got thirsty he let me sip his drink. After the film we decided to go to a local restaurant. I insisted on paying for myself this time because I had brought my debit card and I didn't want him to be broke after the evening.

We got shown to our seats and the waiter brought us our menu. "So, how are you enjoying school?" Adam asked, making conversation.

"It's alright, it's a lot smaller than my old school but the people are much nicer here." I grinned and he nodded.

"Why did you move schools?" He asked. The waiter came and took our orders, then went back into the kitchen.

"I.. erm. I got ex*cough*pel*cough*led" I didn't like to admit it because I wanted to turn over a new leaf and not go back to getting detentions every day.

"Sorry, I didn't catch that." He smiled at me, but looked genuinely confused.

"I got explenuzawicka." I went off on a tangent as I put my food into my mouth to disguise my ramble.

"You got what?" He was starting to frown at me, detecting that I was hiding something from him.

"Fine! I got EXPELLED! OK?!" I was starting to raise my voice now, but I knew I was overreacting. I sighed deeply and looked at him. "I'm sorry, it's just I'm embarrassed and I try as hard as I can not to snap but sometimes I just want to throw some more pudding at someone."

"Pudding? What the fu-?" He shook his head and put his hand over mine."It's okay that you have a bad temper, and I'm alright with you having been expelled. I can help you, you don't have to go back to that and you defiantly don't need to throw any pudding, not here. It's too posh." He laughed at his bad joke. "I will accept you, flaws and all." He smiled at me and I stood up and hugged him. He gets it. I don't know how, but he knows what it's like. I sat back down.

"Thank you." I smiled at him and he smiled back. "Seriously."

The whole night was going perfect until somebody walked past me on the way to the bathroom and dropped a napkin on my lap, I noticed that it had a bit PTO sign on the side that was facing me. Adam didn't notice so I excused myself to the bathroom to read it.

It was a good job I had gone to the toilets because when I opened it, I gasped. Drawn onto the napkin was the best picture I had ever seen, and I'm not just saying this because it was a picture of me, it was really good. I looked for a name and when I looked at the corner, in tiny lettering, were the words:

For Bea,

Alex x

**************************************

Picture to the right is Jack Landen (David Lambert) :3

Duh Duh Durrrrrrr....

Cliffhangers :)

Don't forget to vote!! :) ;)

- Charlotte (Chazza) and Charlie (Chazala)