Chapter Sixteen-It's jump or be jumped...well really caught

~Don't you heart the song Crazy Kids to the side?~

Chapter Sixteen

Everyone craved a little bit of freedom.

Freedom was something that was different to everyone. It could have been running away from home or even skipping class. But for me, freedom was doing something exhilarating, something wild and fun that made my blood rush through my veins with adrenaline and cause goosebumps to grow along my skin.

My freedom was strangely forming into a person by the name of Jace Collins.

He was a bad boy and had a need for danger. Mystery clung to him like a second skin and he stared at the face of wild each and every day of his life. Jace was bad to the very last fibre of the word. His clothes screamed dangerous, his bike did too and most of all, his devil-may-care attitude yelled it out to the world. But what truly made Jace Collins a bad boy was far deeper than material items or personality quirks.

It was the simple fact that no one really knew him.

Sure, everyone at school knew the name Jace Collins, and people have even whispered about him behind his back, but no one really had gotten to know the notorious student of Chesterville High. Except for the obvious facts that Jace had left suddenly a few years ago, only to return out of the blue and his arrogant and ‘stick it to the man’ attitude, Jace was basically an unknown man.

Mystery appealed to many people, but I did not fall under ‘many people’. Ever since I was a little girl, my idea of Prince Charming had evolved from a wonderful prince, a knight in shining armour to someone who was the epitome of perfection. He would have great hair, a good body and a good background. All in all, he would be the guy your father wouldn’t mind you to marry.

But I had fast learnt that nobody was ever perfect. Everyone had dark secrets that they would never tell you on a first meeting. And soon my image of Prince Charming had been shattered into someone who wasn’t perfect but was still an okay sort of guy. Before I knew it, high school had happened and crushes and hormones were running on a high.

I found that my eyes had found their way onto Brett Stone, the one guy every girl really chased after. I wasn’t sure how it happened or why it did, but every breathing and waking moment of my life had been focused solely on Chesterville’s jock. He had the gorgeous body and brilliant eyes, and let’s not leave out the fact that he was taken by the evil and conniving witch, Bethany Willows.

It was as if my mind-heck almost every girl’s mind-was wired to suddenly want Brett even though he was unavailable. The fact that he was taken only made him seem all the more desirable because let’s face it, if he can get a girlfriend especially one that was as pretty as Beth, you would begin to think that he was doing something right and before long, your heart would be beating out of your chest as soon as Brett walked past you.

However, recently my crush on Brett had begun to fade away increasingly fast. All the feelings that I used to have whenever I thought of Brett were now gone, only to be replaced with mild disinterest. I had to be honest with myself. Brett was not the guy I was in love with because he filled some silly list of Prince Charming’s qualities. I was really just crushing on the guy I thought he was.

Brett was arrogant, he was rude and most of all, he was locking lips with Beth whenever he had the chance to. The fact that he went anywhere near Beth’s lips was more than enough incentive for me to stay clear of the tall, brute of a guy. Instead, I found that I was focusing more on my own life and like it or not-even though I’d never admit it-I was focusing on my fake relationship with Jace.