Nature Photography

Hi my name is Kendra. I am a learning photographer studying at New York Film Academy. I want to get hired to do nature photography when I graduate. For me, photography isn't only a thing I study in school, but it is part of my life. I had some free time on a weekend, so I decided to go take some photos in the forest. I packed a tent, a camping stove, and some canned food in my car and drove up to the redwood forests by San Francisco from where I live in Los Angeles. When the 5 hour drive was over with I found a parking lot by the forest and took my duffel bag and camera bag out of the car and locked it.

I loaded my camera with some film and put on my 300mm telephoto lens and started walking. I found a field with some elk in it and snapped some photos of some elk in the distance. I walked about an hour more without finding any animals to take photos of. It was about five and the sun was starting to go down so I settled down under a tree and set up my tent. I lit up a lantern and cooked some instant ramen on the stove.

I sat outside in the light of the dim lamp and read a novel for 2 hours and decided to go to sleep around 8. I took the telephoto lens off of my camera and put on the body cap and put it in a waterproof bag that I had bought for it. I plugged in some earphones to my iPod and curled up into my sleeping bag and fell asleep listening to music.

I woke up to some wolves howling in the distance. My iPod had stopped playing music some time ago while I was sleeping. They were probably chasing after some prey. Suddenly one of them yelped like my dog does when I step on its tail by accident. Then silence. Not just silence. The type of silence when your ears start ringing and you start to question if the ringing sound is real or not. I started playing music again to drown out the silence and went to sleep. The time was about three in the morning.

When I woke up in the morning it was raining a bit. I put on a parka and walked outside. When I stepped out of my tent a triangle of yellow colored rocks with red speckles lay outside the tent. It scared me a little but I assumed it was just a natural occurrence that I didn't notice in the dim light last night when I showed up. I thought nothing of it. Even though it was a perfect triangle. That wasn't the weirdest of the things I had found that morning. I went around the back of my tent to take the stakes out of the ground. Behind the tent laid a gray wolf. It was dead. This frightened me because all of the wolves I had heard in the night sounded like they were at least a few miles away. I couldn't figure out what happened to the wolf.

As soon as I got over the dead wolf and packed up my stuff I found another odd thing. When I pulled my camera out of the bag I discovered that my 50mm prime lens was attached. It was left on and in auto shooting mode with the built in flash popped up. I know I turned my camera off and attached the body cap. Also I would never use my camera in auto mode. I looked at the frame counter on the screen on the top of the camera and it said I only had 28 shots on that roll left. I had 30 shots left when I put the camera away last.

Besides how creeped out I was, I decided to continue my plan. I decided to walk for another 3 hours and take photos and turn back and get back to my car by four and drive to San Francisco and stay in a hotel. I changed into a new pair of clothes and picked up my bags and started walking. That day there were a lot more animals to take photographs of then there were the day before. I filled up about 3 rolls of film before heading back. However I did not enjoy the trip that day. The whole time I felt as if I were being watched. Sometimes when the wind would die down the same silence came as did last night.

Amongst the ringing in my ears I sometimes thought I heard whispers. But when they were done it felt like they were only in my head and didn't actually happen. I got back to my car at 3:45 and drove to San Francisco. I found a camera store that would develop my film in one hour and make some prints and I would scan it later myself. I went and got dinner while the film was developing. After dinner I walked to the store and picked up my prints. I opened up the envelope and found something that truly horrified me and made me want to scream and run to a nonexistent safe place. Inside the envelope I found 2 photos that I did not take.

The first one was of a dead wolf in the dark. A longer exposure was used so there was a lot of motion blur. The second photo was of me, sleeping in my tent. The on camera flash had also been used and it had the same blurry effect to it. I didn't know what to say. I put the photos back in the envelope and tried to forget about it. I don't know what it was that took those photos and killed the wolf. But all I know is I'm glad I didn't wake up and open my eyes when it was in my tent.