Medicine 100 Years Ago

Start from the beginning

Strokes, or apoplexy, were treated by "an injection of half a pint of soapsuds with half a teaspoon of salt and a teaspoon of cayenne pepper". It is assumed that an injection of this sort would be given into the rectum.

People throughout history have wanted to choose the sex of their children. There are some methods today that have a modicum of scientific rationale, but in 1890 the recommended method for having a male child was "the husband is to take substantial food, pass his time pleasantly in the gay society of men, read amusing books, take moderate exercise, and generally increase his sexual desires without cohabiting". During the same time the wife should "live sparingly, fatigue herself daily, take medicines to reduce sexual passion, and pass her time in the dry society of old women". The term "gay" has certainly changed in meaning since then!

Doctors were not totally ignorant 100 years ago. Many remedies were very effective, although their mechanism may not have been known. Scurvy was still a relatively common disease, particularly among the poorer classes whose diet may have been inadequate. Although it was not known that a lack of vitamin C was responsible, the treatment was "milk and lemon juice three times a day", both excellent sources of the missing vitamin.

But some things never seem to change. It was considered that "every healthy mother should nurse her offspring, as the mother's milk is a superb form of nutrient", and "tobacco is a poison and this weakening habit should be destroyed by a mouth wash of silver nitrate after each meal".

But don't laugh too much! What will doctors and patients think of current medical practice and procedures at the end of the twenty-first century?

EXTRACTS FROM MEDICAL TEXT BOOKS

FROM 1740 to 1900

1.

An intense itching of the nose is an invariable sign of worms.

2.

Severe manias should be treated by placing the feet in a bucket of leeches once a week.

3.

In marriage, a woman should subjugate herself to her husband.

4.

Diphtheria is endemic in all large cities, and becomes epidemic at times.

5.

When mercury is given in the proper dose, few medicines are better in effect.

6.

Apply locally chloroform liniment on hot flannel to cure muscular rheumatism.

7.

For dropsy (ascites : ed) of the abdomen, purge freely with concentrated salines and citrate of caffeine.

8.

After expulsion of the afterbirth, rub the inside of the uterus with ice and a sponge dipped in vinegar to prevent flooding.

9.

A hired wet nurse ought to be healthy, good tempered, careful, fond of children, cheerful, active and have a healthy child of her own.

10.

Love is a massive pleasure growing out of definite relations to persons or sentient creatures, and pointing to the embrace.

11.

Liquid air is useful in surgery, and a spray of it on a diseased part deadens the sensation like cocaine, and enables minor surgical procedures to be performed without pain, and even without an excessive outflow of blood.