Chapter Ten

'Tyler.'

I moaned and squeezed my eyes shut, squirming further down in the bed. Somebody was hissing at me and I wasn't pleased.

'Tyler.'

'Noooo.'

'Wake up.'

'I already answered that request,' I mumbled, rolling over to try and get away from Conor.

'You're already awake,' he said smugly.

'Oh, fuck off.' I stretched and yawned, then turned and blinked up at him. 'What time is it?'

'Seven.'

I paused to comprehend this. 'Neither option available is an acceptable time to wake up,' I whined eventually. 'Please tell me you're lying.'

'I'm not.' His eyes were shining with excitement. 'We're sneaking out.'

'Ah.'

The issue of KISS Magazine had become available to the general population the day after we'd arrived in Liverpool. We were in Nottingham now, with Conor and Arthur and their respective bands preparing to play Rock City that night, but heralding our arrival had been an unusual number of fans and paparazzi, it being the day after the magazine's release. The crowd hadn't been so big as to suggest that The Beatles had been reincarnated and come to town, but it was substantially bigger than the usual pack of die-hard fans. And all of them pretty much there solely to gawk at my boyfriend, who after a moment of bemusement scowled and stormed into the hotel, which was unlike him. Usually even if he was in a bad mood he could turn on the charm for his fans but not, it would seem, when they were shouting sex questions at him.

'I'm waiting until marriage,' he'd snapped, and disappeared inside, leaving Daniel, Philip, Tarquin, and Sally to field and apologise for him.

'So come on,' he said now, shaking me slightly. 'Get up.'

'Where are we going?'

'On a magical mystery adventure.'

'In Nottingham?'

'I Googled Nottingham. It's actually not so bad. It's a city and unitary authority area in the East Midlands of England,' he started reciting by rote. 'It is located in the ceremonial county of Nottinghamshire and represents one of eight members of the English Core Cities Group. It's got theatres and galleries and museums and cinemas, a watersports centre, and it's twinned with seven other cities from all over the world.'

My boyfriend has an almost freakishly accurate memory.

'And Robin Hood was from here.'

'You realise if we were steal from the rich we'd have to steal from each other?'

'Now you're just being dramatic. Get up and get dressed.' He walked over to the window, which looked out onto the street and main entrance, and peered out. 'It's already light out and who know what time vultures wake up,' he finished darkly.

Resigning myself to my fate – I'm used to Conor's spontaneous, unusual ideas of dates. On our first "date" he dragged me all over the campus of Glenstal Abbey; from the swimming pool to the canteen to the roof of the music and arts building, where he told me all about his dad for the first time – I slid out of the warm cosy bed and padded over to my suitcase, rooting through it half-heartedly and putting on the first things my hands found.

'Shouldn't we at least let Sarah know we're going?' I whispered as Conor dragged me down the hallway – needlessly of course, several of the occupants were already up and nobody in their rooms would have heard me anyway.