Chapter 15. A Wolves Rank

[A/N: Dedicated to Varzanic because your wolves are by far my favorite wolves in the world. So bomb diggity]

Max POV

After I had closed the door I started to plan. I knew I was ready to be mated to Gunnar, no matter what he thought. I mean, sure, the thought scared me. Who wouldn't be scared when you know without a doubt that you're going to be the bottom? I am going to be on the receiving end and that's a scary thought. Especially considering his size. But I still wanted it.

As I got ready for bed, I decided I would tell him straight up. His fear for me was getting in my way.

888

Two mornings later I jumped into my car and headed to the pack house. All of the entrants are meeting there before heading to the clearing. At the gate I pull out my cell phone and open Gunnar's text so I can punch in the code before the gate's open. 

Maybe it's stupid, but I'm actually nervous about this part.

What if I get it wrong? What happens then? Are there like alarms? I can't remember if the gates swing in or out. Do I have to back up?

The gates swung in before I could have a panic attack and I cautiously cruised down the boulevard before pulling up at the pack house. Gunnar met me at the door, grinning from ear to ear.

"Shouldn't you be nervous? I mean, what's with the creepy smile?" I eyed him warily. 

He bounced on the spot slightly, I kid you not. When I reached him he wrapped me up in his arms. I sighed when the tingles came to life and melted into him. 

"I didn't get to see you yesterday." He squeezed me a bit tighter. Then he grabbed my hand and started to drag me inside, causing me to dig in my heels.

"Wait, wait! I need to ask you something." He stopped and stared at me for a second before nodding his head. I took a deep breath and tried to prepared myself before blurting, "I want you to mark me."

His expression hardened. "No!" He barked, "You're not ready."

"Yes I am." I argued.

"No you're not." He started to drag me inside again.

"Yes, I am!"

He turned and glared at me. "I'm the dominant in this relationship, it's not your choice!"

My jaw dropped. What an asshole! But... "Technically...." I started. He shot me such a dark glare I reconsidered for a moment before carrying on. "You haven't marked me yet. So... you can't... tell me what to do." I ignored the quivering nerves in my stomach that were telling me to shut up and submit. If I gave in my whole argument would go out the window.

He growled. And it wasn't a pleasant or turned on or I'm slightly upset growl. The windows and pendant lamp vibrated and I nearly dropped to my knees. But I determinedly locked my shaking legs and glared right back.

Magnus walked into the room before homicide was committed. "May I ask what's going on in here? Gunnar, get in the lounge with the other entrants. Max, you're going to be riding with Kate to the clearing. She's in the kitchen with my mother. Go now Gunnar." 

Gunnar looked ready to argue but gave in to the direct command in his Alpha's voice and left. Magnus turned to me, the corner of his mouth twitching. "That was a pretty good argument Max. I'm impressed." I blushed scarlet. "If it helps, he'll be more wolf than man after the fight. That would be a good time to ask. His wolf will be much more open to the idea."

I didn't think my face could get any redder before I rushed to the kitchen, leaving the chuckling Alpha behind. Kate and Marte greeted me and led me out to the front of the building where all the hopefuls and the Alpha were waiting. Kate led me over to a bunch of four seater ATV's for the human's of the pack. We got in with Marte and Daven.