Epilogue

Hey!! Final chapter at last! This is the epilogue, I’m happy and sad to say, which means that their story is over…this is so weird for me, you have no idea. Last night I dug up some old notes I had written about Delta, like the very basic plot, and it’s so different. And yet some lines are exactly the same. It’s incredible. But yeah, I just want to give you all a HUGE thank you for everything you’ve done to make their story possible and making me want to write it :) I love you all and I couldn’t have done it without you. Thank you and please enjoy this final chapter of their story!

Gracias!! <3 vb12331 (though I promise this won’t be the last time I say that; keep an eye out for a new book I have in mind!!)

Epilogue

♥         Astrid       ♥

“Charlie Gallagher,” I panted, my fingers cramping as they clutched at the handholds, “I am never going to forgive you for this.”

His face was a few feet to my right, laughing as he held on easily to the side of the rocky cliff we were attempting to scale. “Come on, Astrid, don’t be such a coward,” he said, smirking as I clung to the handholds, frozen. “I still don’t get how you can be in car chases and shoot-outs at age sixteen but are still terrified of heights when you’re twenty-four.”

“It’s completely different.” I had to force myself not to look down. “The only thing keeping me alive is this itty-bitty rope, and I don’t even get what it’s doing to help –”

Charlie rolled his eyes. “Keep moving and it’ll be over soon.”

“How ‘bout you go first and then drag me up?” I suggested, only half-kidding.

“Beauty before age.” Somehow he managed to make a little bow while hanging in midair, grinning at the expression I produced on my face.

“Isn’t it the other way around?” I grumbled, but he ignored this, just looking at me with that irritating grin until I gritted my teeth and forced myself to start climbing again.

Rock climbing had been his idea, unsurprisingly, and though Charlie claimed the cliff wasn’t even that high and Josh was on the bottom somehow helping us, I still wasn’t convinced that this wasn’t going to kill me. Telling myself that I only had to get to the top and then could coerce Charlie into calling a helicopter or something for me, I made my way up, scrabbling for foot- and handholds, Charlie beneath me to the right.

“How much further?” I gritted out, not wanting to look up or down.

Charlie’s voice floated up. “We’re halfway there, whoa, living on a prayer!

I groaned, forcing my limbs to keep moving. “Only?” And when he laughed again, “Did anyone ever tell you you’re a crappy singer?”

His only response was to break into a high-pitched rendition of “Climb Every Mountain,” which he clearly thought was appropriate. If I hadn’t been so scared of falling off and hurtling through space, I would have reached back and kicked him in the face. Attempting to tune him out, I concentrated on getting up the cliff, exercising extreme mental control for the next fifteen minutes until at last we reached the top.