15 - Sathariel's Condition

I tested Grigori’s grip and the ropes binding my wrists, glancing back desperately at Vincent and the redhead who by some baffling explanation happened to be Byron Flynn. It was no use. If I hadn’t used too much life-force to help Vincent, I might stand a chance. Now, I could barely stay on my feet.

Involuntarily, I started to back away. Vladimir thought this place was the safest for us. As far away from Hector and the other Reapers as possible. But here she came—whoever she was—ruining everything. I bet Vlad didn’t see this coming.

Judging by the panic in his pale face, Byron Flynn must’ve recognized the blond girl. Vincent, on the other hand, had no clue about the deal I made with Hector’s familiar so any chance of him setting aside his anger and working together with me was close to nothing. For all he knew, Apple was still an ally. Nonetheless, I had to get us out of here.

“Byron Flynn?” I said, keeping my eyes forward. In my peripheral vision, I saw him nod inconspicuously.

Looked like we were thinking the same thing.

My heart pounded in my ears. Everything seemed to slow down a bit. I drew a deep breath and stomped on Grigori’s foot. With a yelp, he was forced to put his weight on his good leg, losing his grip on me in the process. I charged, ramming my shoulder into his stomach. He just staggered back, more surprised than hurt. Before he could recover and catch me, I shoved my knee in between his crotch and made a run for Vincent.

When I got to him, his right brow was bleeding but not before he had somehow managed to break the nose of the guy guarding him. The ropes binding him lay in shreds near his feet.

Byron Flynn had already slipped away from Levi’s guards. Easily, he dodged and sidestepped their attempts to catch him. But for some reason, he wasn’t fighting back.

In the middle of running, my whole body suddenly became heavy. It was like running under water with weights strapped all over me. Taken aback, I was forced to stop. I couldn’t move my arms or my legs any longer. In a matter of seconds, my feet were an inch off the ground as if an invisible force was holding me up.

Vincent cursed out loud. “Not again!” he growled.

He too was unable to move, his feet flailing in midair as he was lifted off the ground. Although, he kept on fighting with not much success.

Among the three of us, Byron Flynn seemed to be the only one who could move. He could’ve escaped all by himself. But he walked back to Levi’s men resignedly, his shoulders hunched, his gaze fixed on his feet.

“So it is real,” he mumbled, his face a mask of disbelief.

“I warned you,” Levi said unblinkingly, his voice ringing of self-assurance. Calmly, he just stood in front of us as he waited for his men to recover. “Harm is a concept that is not present here. In Halja, we only live in peace. You see, there is a powerful force in this place, in the very solid ground where you and I stand that prevents acts of violence. Keeps everything in perfect harmony. It is a force that is greater than any. No one—not even immortals like you—can violate its will. Its power comes from a higher being. Higher than anyone of us.”

“My master told me stories about this place,” Byron Flynn added, staring at his own hands. “I thought Halja was merely a myth.”

Halja. I kept repeating the name in my head. Didn’t ring a bell. Not that I was ever an expert in Geography. I wanted very much to ask but my mouth was shut closed.

With an eager smile, the blond girl immediately stepped down the elevated floor, her woven sandals clapping against the wooden floorboards.

 “Levi!” the girl waved, running toward us. “What took you so long?”