Chapter 21

Okay so really this was supposed to be chapter 20 but I made a mistake when I posted it and cut off a huge chunk of the chapter. Thus, there is a very tiny Chapter 20 lol. Sorry guys!!

Chapter 21

“Where are you going?”

He didn’t stop walking but he turned his head to say, “Somewhere where we don’t have to hold back.” He hopped in the jeep and looked at me, gesturing to the seat beside him. His eyes softened when he saw my uncertainty and, all playfulness gone said, “Calypso said tonight would be fine, Cass. I told her of my plans and she ‘looked’ for us. Everyone will be safe.”

Feeling relieved, I glanced back at the base, knowing I shouldn’t leave without telling anyone. I cringed as I thought about how pissed James would be when he found out.

If he found out.

I grinned and strode towards the jeep, flinging a good portion of my power into the shield over the base.

Harper was grinning too and he shot me a cheeky look when he peeled out onto the street. For a second I was caught by how much we looked alike. It still hadn’t really sunk in that I have a brother but suddenly I was incredibly happy that I did. Even if he was wearing a studded leather vest, skinny jeans, and guy-liner.

Feeling free and cheerful for the first time in a long time, I let out a “whoop!” and raised my fist in the air causing Harper to burst out laughing.

“This is it,” Harper said as he rolled to a stop outside of a fenced in area mostly surrounded by trees.

I eyed the No Trespassing sign with trepidation. “Are you sure this is a good idea?”

Harper grinned at me. “Chicken?”

I stiffened my spine. “Hell no,” I said and hopped out of the jeep. I strode towards the fence and started to climb when it started to move backwards with me attached. I looked down to see Harper with one hand pulling open the gate and the other one clutching his side, as he began to laugh hysterically.

“Not locked,” he gasped clearly finding it hard to speak because of all the laughing.

I felt my face go bright red as I jumped back to the ground, swinging the fence open myself. “How was I supposed to know,” I grumbled, heading inside.

While Harper began to hyperventilate, I considered my surroundings. It was a large open area with a few very old and abandoned looking buildings in the distance. From here, I could tell that they’d been badly vandalized and spray painted over the years. Besides the buildings, it was a huge open area and I couldn’t even see to the end of the fence. There were parts of the clearing that didn’t have any grass or weeds growing on them and I finally realized where we were.

“It’s the old airport,” Harper said after he recovered enough to catch up to me. “It hasn’t been operational since the 60s so hardly anyone even knows it exists anymore.

“Very cool,” I muttered as I kept walking. By the time I felt the attack I was almost too late to block it.

Somehow I managed to throw up a small shield which effectively redirected the energy ball that had been aimed at my back. “Hey!” I yelled at Harper as he raised his hands, preparing to attack again. “I wasn’t ready yet! You could’ve killed me!”

He laughed. “Stop being such a drama queen,” he said, shaking his head and making his spiky hair wiggle. “It wouldn’t have killed you even if it had hit you. You would’ve been stunned for a minute and then you would’ve been fine. Besides, I knew you’d block it. We’re related, remember?” He grinned at me and I couldn’t stop myself from grinning back.