Prologue

Prologue: Five years earlier

I QUICKLY brushed the stray traitorous tears that had managed to escape away from my cheeks.

With my hands tucked into the pockets of my stark white peacoat to protect them from the intense New Jersey winter breeze, I strutted aimlessly down the street.

I had no idea where I was nor where I was going. But it gave me a bit of a thrill to know that the only thing that determined where I went were my legs.

Daddy wasn't here to demand where I head, neither was my mother around to criticize how I walked or how I was dressed. But most importantly, Simone wasn't standing next to me in all her glory for me to be compared to.

I was so sick of it; so damn tired. My family wore me out with their constant disapproval and rising expectations.

"You are much too engrossed in silly things rather than your studies," Daddy would say if he saw me now. "You quit this nonsense now, Eleanor. A Mercer mustn't indulge in petty things. Not when there are other far more pressing issues that need to be addressed."

"A daughter of mine wearing that in public, " my mother would scrutinize my simple outfit of jeans, a t-shirt, UGG boots, and a white wool jacket, in an indignant tone. "How unsettling."

And finally, Saint Simone would offer me a small smile but keep quiet until my parents had considered me sufficiently scolded. "Eleanor, you never learn do you?"

"You gonna come in or just stand around there like a dumb-ass?" My eyes snapped down at the voice of a petite girl with a pixie cut hair dyed an eerie blue.

It was then that I realized I've stood motionless outside a small shop for the last few minutes. Blushing a faint pink, I nodded. I wasn't exactly sure what this place was, but I stepped inside anyway, just to save face.

My eyes took in the scene before them, absorbing the homey atmosphere of the place the lit fireplace gave off and the warm, rich patterned rugs laying over the worn floorboards. There were also armchairs around the fireplace in the corner, along with tall balcony chairs and tables.

A coffee shop, I thought to myself as I stared at all the deep chocolaty brown hues around the room.

"Welcome to The Brew. Can I interest you in a sample?" a bubbly blond said with a smile on her pink glossed lips.

Looking down at the tantalizing treats on the tray she offered, I fought an internal battle of Instinct Vs. Desire.

"Have you got any idea how many calories there are in that?" I could practically hear my mom's horrified voice. "You'll become fat if you make a habit of feeding your sweet-tooth, Eleanor."

"Sure." I said making up my mind and picking the little piece of heaven up from the tray before popping it into my mouth.

I couldn't hold back the moan that erupted from my mouth then. When was the last time I'd had even a crumb of cake? Probably my tenth birthday where I'd had my last birthday cake. My parents deemed the "double-digit birthday" the termination of the craving for such sweets. Whatever, as if.

"This is incredible," I practically groaned out as I ran my tongue over my teeth, savoring the taste for a few more moments.

"I know right? It's our Wednesday special. Just mention the Nutty-Banana coffee cake at the register and they'll take care of you!" I smiled awkwardly back at the overly enthusiastic girl before she sauntered off to offer a sample to a new customer.

After a second of standing in the middle of the shop unsure of what to do, I gave a little shrug and walked towards the register.

"Hey," I looked up into a pair of chocolate brown eyes and instinctively straightened. This guy was hot, and guessing by the look he was giving me, he knew it too.